RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS will not boot from HD

stellanova

I have been using my homebuilt WHS for some time. Recently it will not reboot from its HD. I am using two 2TB disks.

It will boot from the system disk but only if I make a cold-start.

I have not made any changes since the start, only Windows updates.

When doing a reboot everything starts as usual but when it comes to:

DHCP ....

it continues:

PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM

DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

I am doing this and the story continues:

-

-

No boot filename received

PXE-E61 Media test failure

If I just do a reset with the system disk in place the story repeats.

A cold start with system disk in place works fine.

Is there any remedy except for reinstallation?

I've seen something similar and the issue was in the BIOS where you can set the drive to IDE or AHCI. Not sure if this will help.

Yes, I have also seen that since WHS does not support AHCI it could be problems if you try to use that. I checked BIOS and it is set to IDE.

Any more ideas?

Sounds like a motherboard/BIOS snafu. But I'd run a dskchk on your drives to make sure they aren't the problem. It's like the motherboard isn't recognizing your system drive as being present upon reboot. Some sort of corruption, somewhere. This seems like a problem that the BYOB guys would know something about.

While I was trying to figure this out, I might think about doing a BIOS re-flash. Of course, check others' opinions on that.

The error you are seeing is a LAN boot error and is either because your bios is set wrong or becuase your boot drive is bad and it tries to boot from the next device. No sure what kind of system as you did not state but check the BIOS to make sure boot from LAN is disabled and the correct drive it set for hard drive priority.

Thank you guys for all your good advice. I simply changed the HD boot order in the BIOS. ( Did not know that you could do that)

That did the trick. I also did run a ckhdsk which found some indexing problems but did not change things.

To be complete, the system is based on an old Aopen low power mobo i915GMm-HFS with an Intel M processor and 1 GB of RAM.

Btw I live in Stockholm, Sweden and dont know what BYOB means except for Bring Your Own Beer. Could dvn enlighten me?

Sure. BYOB stands for "Build Your Own Box". It's the name of a great podcast about computer hardware, and it's hosted by 3 guys from the Home Server Show forums - Mike Faucher (pcdoc), Michael Martis (no-control) and Tim Daleo (Daleo1)

Well worth a listen if you're into hardware and building your own computers.

http://homeservershow.com/category/byob