RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

DVD/CD drive not being recognised by BIOS

TheGuy

Folks,

I have a intermittent problem with a DVD drive that sometimes and lately more often then before; is simply NOT showing up on my system as a device. I have a Asus board (ASUS P7H55D-M Evo LGA1156 mATX H55 DDR3 PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 PCI HDMI DVI VGA eSATA Motherboard) and from time to time after a reboot I do not have my DVD/CD available. it's a LG super-multi lightscribe DVD drive. If I re-re-reboot then the drive will be picked up... but lately it's been harder to get it recognised. I was under the impression it was a Win-7-64bit issue but noticed that when looking into the devices in the BIOS, it's simply not showing.

Tried changing cables (SATA and Power)[i've put it on a seperate power line, still no change]

Tried different SATA port ( 2 to 3 to 5)

Tried fiddling with the connectors again and noticed that if I cut power to the drive and plug it back in, then its recognised by the BIOS.

Tried different settings in the BIOS, but put everything back the way it was.

I have searched the WEB, but since it's at the BIOS level that the drive is not being recognised...I am at a lost.

Any clues folks?

Thank you for the help.

I wonder if the problem is the drive itself. Can you try installing it in another PC and see if it is a problem being detected there?

Guest no-control

Sounds to me like the controller on the optical is overheating. Might be time to buy a replacement. I agree with CSK move it to another box if it does the same thing, start shopping.

My box is water cooled so the air temp is very low (cool), it could be the drive itself, I only paid $20.00 for it (on sale) but I find it weird that it would be dying...

I'll try to put it in another box and see if that makes a difference... else I'll go shopping and spend a bit more...

Thank's for the second opinion, I appreciate.

I had a similar issue a couple months ago and I went with an external option. Now I have a portable DVD drive to use on others peoples machines when they need me to work on them. This was a great option for me as I rarely use the DVD drives in my machines.