RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HELP NEEDED: WHS v1 rejecting credentials

Bill Williams

Hi, everyone. First time poster. Okay, I've been using WHS for years and my EX470 just keeps humming along nicely (2GB upgrade a couple of years ago). I have a problem that I'm having a hard time fixing so I hope I can get some help here. Thanks in advance. Here goes...

Yesterday our area had a major power outage for about 12 hours. Don't worry, workstations (and of course, laptops) and WHS and its drives are all UPS. I was home, so I quickly shut everything down gracefully (first workstations/laptops, then Home Server, then external drives for WHS).

This morning (utility power all nicely restored) I booted everything back up. WHS came up nicely, but none of the clients can "see it" through the connector software (it's greyed out like the server is not up). I also cannot connect drivers or browse the SMB drives on the server (i.e. \\SERVERNAME doesn't work...it repeatedly asks for credentials even though I know they are correct). I CAN, howerver, ping the server and RDS into the machine, no problem. I can even run the Windows Home Server console from any of the clients and connect just fine, so I know it's a user credential problem (not a networking/IP Address/Name/etc. problem).

I've had this happen before, so I checked my cached credentials (using the 'Credential Manager' in Win7) on my main workstation (Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit) and deleted anything for the server. I also remoted into the server and used the "local users and groups" snap-in to unlock the account (which usually gets locked when it doesn't recognize the credentials a couple of times). This had no effect; the server continues to ask for credentials. When I try other users, the same thing happens. When I use just the username or if I force the "domain" by using the format 'SERVERNAME\USERNAME' the same thing happens.

I've rebooted the server, I've rebooted the clients, I've unlocked the user account several times (it keeps getting locked), all to no avail. I've also tried it from other client machines with no joy. So, I thought I'd come here and ask.

Here's some additional troubleshooting information. I've noticed that my main userid that I use personally is getting locked out basically instantaneously after unlocking it, so something is trying credentials (not sure what) I would think. Additionaly, I've checked the shares themselves, and everything seems to be in order (shared, currently shared to the right groups, ACLs seem correct, etc.), although all of the shares seem to be checked as read only (greyed out, so it must be inherited) on the General tab for the share properties. I can uncheck this and have it cascade, but I don't want to mess with my shares in this manner unless I know what it will do...and I don't. I even made my user a local administrator (put it in the Administrators group) to see if that made a difference, and it did not.

I'm going to try to reinstall the connector on one of the machines (using a thumb drive since I can't get to the shares and see what happens also, but I don't think it will help) Any other ideas?

Edited by Bill Williams

Do a Remote Desktop Connection and make sure the Time Zone, Date, and Time match your PC. Reinstall the connector or go into the C:\program Files\Windows Home Server folder on your PC and double click to run Discovery.exe

Also it would be a good idea to set a static IP address on you server so that the Remote Access and port forwarding can be permanently set, make sure the router is forwarding ports 80,443,4125 to the server.

Usually a power failure will change the time zone and since your server is a EX47x, the battery could be dead.

You can get the connector software from the server at http://servername:55000

Also you can download the Toolkit from that webpage to test your connection. run the toolkit as administrator with " -a" that's space minus a

If you have all the latest patches on your server, it's best to get the connector software from the server in the Software/Home Server Connector software folder, because it would be the updated version. The CD's that came with the server is the 1st version, and outdated. There would be issues.

Ha! Genius. Thanks...the time was the problem. I didn't even check that because I didn't think about a dead battery. Good catch. For the record, all I had to do was change the time and wait a few minutes. Everything went back to normal eventually. I didn't have to reinstall or rediscover, etc.

Thanks again for the help.

Bill~

I am beginning to think a dead CMOS battery is my problem with my recovery issues.

I am beginning to think a dead CMOS battery is my problem with my recovery issues.

hmm, usually I would see an issue only with installing the connector, I would get a green check mark for connecting to the server but a red x for the backup service. If the battery is read thereby not having the correct time/date or time zone. I don't see it failing the server recovery process, but of course I could be wrong. I hope you can confirm.

It's a long job to replace that battery, you have to take the server completely apart, good luck. If you get stuck, let me know. Tim Daleo has a video on adding ram the the MediaSmart server, that video will show you how to take the case apart.

http://www.youtube.com/windowshomeserver#p/a/f/0/Jt4RaMmRu04