RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Overheating HP MediaSmart Server

Keith-UK

I would be grateful for some advice from the homeserver guys.

My HP MediaSmart Server (running v1)has worked faultlessly for years but over the last couple of days I have been getting a few error messages. Fist I saw a warning about a possible man in the middle attack and that I should assure the security of the server. To be honest I dont really know what I am looking for but I cant see anything obvious and having restarted the server all seemed well.

I then received a warning that the data disk (not the system one) was overheating it seemed to be only 1 degree over the limit as it settled down from 41 degrees to 39 degrees and the warning cleared.

I am now getting warnings of two hardware faults; the cpu is overheating and that the fans are running slow. The server is showing a red light on the front.

Is the man in the middle warning a red herring? what if any action should I take?

I assume that the cpu is overheating due the problem with the fan(s); should I replace the fans if so can anyone recommend suitable replacements?

Any other advice as to how to proceed would be most gratefully received.

Keith-UK

Which model of the MediaSmart Server do you have ?

If you have the EX470 or EX475 then you can try adding the Fan Control addin by Alex Kuretz

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/add-ins/#MSSFanControl

Did you install the SMART addin ? is that what's giving you the temperature warning? or are you lloking in the Console under Setting/ MediaSmart ?

Hi John

Thanks for such a quick resaponse.

I have the EX475and will get the fancontrol addin.

I do have the SMART addin and it is that that is giving the warnings. When I look int he consol it says that the cpu is 31 - 32 degrees the upper fan is 1394 - 1406 rpm and the lower at 1454 - 1467 rpm

Thanks for your interest

Keith-UK

John

As soon as I installed the fanspeed addin the fan speeds have increased to upper 1506 rpm, lower 1562 and the cpu temp is dropping. I am getting cleared messages from the server.

It seems to have fixed it!

Thanks for your help, it is very much appreciated

Keith-UK

I'm happy to read that it helped. You can also tweak the temp setting in SMART to set the default temp a little highter.

SMART.png

Thanks John

Ive copied the settings in the screen shot above.

Best Regards

Keith-UK