RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
timekills

WMIPRVSE.exe high cpu/memory

timekills

The Microsoft process WMIPRVSE runs the CPU in my 2011 home server at almost 100%. There are actually two of the WMIPRVSE applications running on my box, one under system and one under network. The network one is hitting 30-95% CPU and 500MB (!) of memory usage.

If it matters, it is a virtualized system on a server 2008R2 box, with two other virt. systems (WHS v.1 and Win7) but neither the host nor other systems are exhibiting any similar symptoms.

I vaguely recall a similar problem with server 2003, but can't find the cure for 2K8 derivative servers via Google.

Additionally: I've found a couple pages regarding the issue from outside (the network) calls to the WMI service; checked with netmon and it isn't from outside the server. Also some MS patches for Vista/7/2003/2008 from the Dec 2010 cumulative time zone error causing the problem but those patches aren't applicable either.

I can stop the winmgmt service that it calls on, but that would also kill the Windows Home Server Connector service, the LightsOut Client service (hmmm...I wonder...) and IP Helper.

Any ideas?

Edited by timekills

pcdoc

Interesting, I would bet on the addin as well. Have monitored this on three servers and they all use 0%. I put my bet on lights out. Have you tried to temporarily uninstall it?

timekills

Interesting, I would bet on the addin as well. Have monitored this on three servers and they all use 0%. I put my bet on lights out. Have you tried to temporarily uninstall it?

Yes; removed LightsOut but no change (first killed the service than uninstalled.) I can kill the WMIPRVSE.EXE process and it will restart at a "normal" usage; i.e. no unusual memory or CPU usage but over an indeterminate amount of time it begins to creep back up, as if it had a memory leak.

Edited by timekills