RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

2/3/10 only - Newegg.com HomeServer ShellShock

HartmannTech.com

I wouldn't count on it. I don't think most Celeron's are 64-bit. And WHS2 is probably going to work best on > 2GB of RAM, which I think is the limit of these boxes.

I would pass on getng the NewEgg deal. 1st it's a referbished box, the eSata only sees 1 drive while the EX49x see's 5. By the time Vail comes out, you'll probably get the E490 for $399, that's what I got it for. For the extra $100 you will have the 5 drive eSata support and a quieter box and better CPU.

John(homeservershow).

I got it anyway -- I haven't yet played with one of HP's MSS boxes, so I mostly just wanted to check it out. When I'm done playing I'm sure I can knock a few bucks off and get one of my customers to buy it.

I'm just trying not to install further 32-bit only WHS systems where the customer might eventually want to upgrade to Vail.

I'll try loading Vail on it after it arrives and see if it works at all...

I wonder if HP will consider refurbished units to be eligible for the MSS 3.0 software upgrade? You have to figure that when HP starts to take orders that it might require specific information from the unit itself like a unique serial number.

I don

I think it'll be fine. I'm sure they'll do a system check for installation, rather than looking for you to provide proof or purchase/registration. Heck, my ex470 was a refurb, but I bought it straight from HP.

I bought this deal ... my first home server! I've been following you guys enough and haven't understood probably 70% of what you've been talking about. Saw this as the Shell Shocker and thought I'd take the plunge and join you guys.

Does anybody know about upgrading this box (EX485), especially the CPU? I did some searching online earlier today and found a few forum threads on other sites about attempts at doing so. But it seemed like there were more failures (including bricking the box to where the "pre-upgrade" CPUs didn't even work anymore) than anything else. If I knew what the challenges were going in and thought it wasn't that high of a risk, I'd upgrade the thing to a dual core of some sort before the power button ever gets pressed!

Nonetheless, even if I'm stuck with my first WHS being a Celeron, I'll cope ...