RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Restore From Server

ImTheTypeOfGuy

I am trying to restore one of my clients and am having troubles. When the system boots up it identifies my two NIC's and my HDD, along with disk controllers, without issue. However, it won't find my server. I have my server and my client hard wired to the same router.

Anyone know how to resolve this? Can I connect the ethernets of the two machines directly into each other?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• diehard

• usacomp2k3

• ImTheTypeOfGuy

• fasthair

If either of the ethernets ports are gigabit, you should be able to connect them directly. If not, then you will need a crossover cable.

You said that you have 2 NIC's. Does it do the same for both?

Here is an option,
If you have room in your server to temporarily add the PC's hard drive, you can try this method;
http://www.wegotserved.com/2009/11/17/how-to-restore-a-client-computer-without-using-the-client-restore-disk/
What your doing is add the PC's drive to the server but NOT as part of the pool. Then you run the ClientWizard software to restore to that drive. It runs a lot faster since it's direct and not through the network.

John (homeservershow).

They are both gigabit and yes, I have the same problem regardless of the port I try. I will try the direct ethernet connection and see what happens.

John, thanks for he link but that sounds like it is very sketchy (ie doesn't always work) and is a horrible right up given it only has pictures that for the most part are to small to see. I guess I am not advanced enough to follow along. I guess if the direct connection doesnt work that can be my last resort.

Hi,

Ok, When you say " When the system boots up it identifies my two NIC's " is the in the Boot screen ?

When you boot from the PC Recovery DVD you might have to add the drivers during this process, it should ask you. To get the drivers you would need to run, open the Console from a working PC and go to Computers & Backups, find the name of the computer you want to restore not the computer you are working from, right click, select View Backups, highlight the one you want to restore and choose open at the bottom, it should create a virtual folder, in there you should see a folder called "Windows Home Server Drivers for Restore". Copy that to a USB stick. Close and get out. Put the USB stick in the PC you want to restore.

Now when you start the PC Restore, when it asks if you have drivers, point to that USB stick

Hopefully this will work.

John (homeservershow).

The two NIC's show up after the restore CD has gone through some initial set up processes (right after I choose my language and keyboard type). My understanding is if the restore identifies the NIC's and appropriate HDD's, then I didn't need to install the drivers, as the restore process already had or would downloade the drivers.

I ended up trying the link you provided given I couldn't get the normal restore process to work. It is installing now. If this doesn't work, then I will try the restore cd again with the drivers as you suggest. Thanks for the quick response.

ITTOG,

Yes, Drashna was quite vague on how you do this type of restore. It is quite unusual. I'm assuming he wanted to show that there are other methods, but didn't want to confuse readers.

The biggest issue I see is that if all your drives on the server have similar names as the PC drive you are adding, it might be difficult to find the right drive to restore to when your running the ClientRestoreWizard and you don't want to restore to a drive that is part of your pool and mess that up.

Good Luck, let us know how it went.

John (homeservershow).

I am back up and running. It worked great actually, only took about 2.5 hours. For me selecting the right drive is simple. I guess I am playing with it enough I can tell easily. After putting the drive back into the client pc it told me the computer didn't shut down properly and asked if I wanted to start in safe mode. So I complied. After logging in I restarted the computer and it booted up without problems as it used to do. So thanks for the link. Maybe I didn't have all the reboot issues he mentions because I don't have that hidden partition (not sure why as my W7 install was a clean install and not an upgrad from Vista).

John,

Have youtried this processe? I am trying to do it again and am having problems where I am supposed to enter the server password. Instead of letting me enter it, the password screen is skipped because it immediately goes to the next screen and it indicates "an unknown network error has occurred during pc restore". I see the password screen for a split second and then it is gone. Don't know why it would matter on the network, which it is connected without problems, given I installed the drive an an internal sata.

if it has a nvidia chipset, that may be the issue. one of my htpc's has this chipset and despit loading the drivers and seeing the hardware, it will not see my whs. i've given up on it.