RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

MyMovies 2.0 for WHS 2011 - Final Release

MyMovies finally released the final version of MyMovies 2.0 for WHS...after many pre-release versions.

From the website - There are now new final releases available for our Windows Home Server, Windows Home Server 2011 and My Movies 4 products. All of the downloads can be found on our download page.

Now I can install it onto my server and make the final transition from WHS V1 to WHS 2011.

MyMovies finally released the final version of MyMovies 2.0 for WHS...after many pre-release versions.

From the website - There are now new final releases available for our Windows Home Server, Windows Home Server 2011 and My Movies 4 products. All of the downloads can be found on our download page.

Now I can install it onto my server and make the final transition from WHS V1 to WHS 2011.

Installed the WHS Ver 1 and 7 MC versions today. ;)

Dittos Jedi. When I get back from vacation I don't have any more excuses. Time to move to 2011.

Guest no-control

How does this compare to using MediaBrowser? I tried MM back on my MSS (MM2 I think?) and wasn't impressed, but it looks like they might have improved it quite a bit especially on the client side (frontend).

Anyone compared the 2?

I might consider using the Backend if it'l play nice with my current MB HTPC setups

How does this compare to using MediaBrowser? I tried MM back on my MSS (MM2 I think?) and wasn't impressed, but it looks like they might have improved it quite a bit especially on the client side (frontend).

Anyone compared the 2?

I might consider using the Backend if it'l play nice with my current MB HTPC setups

The biggest challenge I have between the two is when using extenders. MediaBrowser just works while MM3/4 still gives access errors that, while correctable, are only temporary and have to be reapplied each time the server is rebooted.

For direct HTPC use, especially with the advent of TV show information, MyMovies has been/is great. Speed is similar to MediaBrowser (i.e. depending on HTPC, server, and LAN speed the big background photos can either be instantaneous or laggy) but it has less flexibility because it doesn't have the large amounts of second-party plugins and formats that MediaBrowser has. I don't care because my preferred MediaBrowser look was the same as the default MyMovies look.

Regarding identifying (metadata) both movies and TV shows I find MyMovies to be more accurate - and perhaps more importantly - easier to "correct" than MediaBrowser and TV Metadata Finder (which I used prior to MM3+ with TV metadata.)

Finally, MM4 can also resume all video formats including VIDEO_TS formats.

Bottom line: If you are already using another metadata program, especially a great one like MediaBrowser, and like it's front end, I wouldn't change UNLESS you also want/need TV metadata, a way to remotely view the contents of your collection via the web, and the ability to back up your database and restore relatively painlessly. Or if you are interested in drop and forget ripping of DVDs/BluRay and have the prerequisite 2500 points.

Note - I use the WHS v1 and WHS2011 servers simultaneously to separate HTPCs in the house, and both appear to work the same.

Edited by timekills