RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

DA Document Manager 2010 vs. PaperPort

awraynor

I presently use PaperPort Pro 11 to scan all my important documents/bills/etc. to PDF and it works well for me. I do however see the new version of Digital ArcHound with the WHS version and 3 client versions for $60 vs. the usual $250.

I know it is a well reviewed product, but does it offer enough beyond PaperPort to warrant the great price of $60?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• diehard

• usacomp2k3

• awraynor

• pcdoc

I tried the trial and although a good product, I think I will stick with what
I have. Although I did add Dropbox to the server so when I do scan in via
Paperport the documents are backed up on the server in the shares folder.

The biggest problem was that I would have to recreate all of the folder structure
I have with labels, etc. which is way too much work. The product could also benefit
from an explorer interface. Overall a nice product, just not for me right now.

Cool. Thanks for giving your opinions. I've had to support PaperPort in a past IT job, and the users seemed to like it pretty good.

This looks like a very cool application and the intro pricing is pretty attractive. As a single user I would probably prefer to just a client app and call it a day without adding the overhead to WHS. Cool idea though if you have more than one person scanning.

Does it have any remote access capabilities? If so, I could definitely see the utility of a WHS use of it.

Question for anyone who has used either of these products, can you somehow integrate e-mails into this archive, ex: I get e-statements for some bills, paper for others and I'd like to "archive" them all in 1 solution and search as well. It looks like these work well for the scans but is there any product that can combine the 2 features? Otherwise I'll have to remember which ones are what type, and then have them in 2 different places electronically.

@wodysweb You could probably use a virtual printer to generate a PDF of you e-statements and then store everything using the same method whether it is a scanned copy or emailed statement.

Good call @cskenny, I'll have to see if I want to go to that level of effort or not. Still deciding if it's worth $60 vs just using some folders to store the scans and splitting an occasional PDF file.