RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
Marc84

Airport Express with WHS

Marc84

Hello,

I've been searching the Internet for days, but I can't find an answer for my question. I'd like WHS 2011 to stream music to my Airport Express and use my iPhone as a remote. Is this possible?

Thanks!

pcdoc

Airport express connects to any computer running itunes but if you want to pull music from you server you will either have to configure itunes to use it or use third party software. You can use your iphone as remote through use of third party software. We need a bit more information on exactly what you want to do and what you want to play it on. Can you describe your setup such as, where is music located, what apps do you want to use, how is your itunes setup?

Dave

Doc,

I know you can use the Apple Remote app on the iPhone to control a Mac and then stream to the AE. I've never tried the remote to a windows PC. Can someone try that?

MediaSmart servers have the iTunes sharing software so iTunes on any other computer can use the music on WHS. That's version 1 though. My Mac can see my MSS and I can play anything on it to an AE easily. Again, question would be, can the remote app see iTunes on a windows pc?

pcdoc

Dave,

I have tried the remote app like ORB and "stream to me" for music streaming before and recently heard about Remote Potato which seems to do a few more things. It certainly is possible and all I tested worked OK for music. The problem is that out of the box, you can see you server as a shared library but there is no built in iTunes server functionality so you need a third part app for generic streaming. To stream to airport express, I "think" requires iTunes. I found easier to use a separate PC and run all my media streaming as well as iTunes off one system that stays on all the time then trying to mess with iTunes on 2011. Technically you can do it, have it running, add a remote app and it will work. Good topic for DVN's Skype's group discussion.

Marc84

Airport express connects to any computer running itunes but if you want to pull music from you server you will either have to configure itunes to use it or use third party software. You can use your iphone as remote through use of third party software. We need a bit more information on exactly what you want to do and what you want to play it on. Can you describe your setup such as, where is music located, what apps do you want to use, how is your itunes setup?

I'm busy building a home server. I'm thinking of using Windows Home Server 2011 as the operating system. Currently, I'm using Itunes on a Macbook Pro to stream my music to an Airport Express connected to my AV Receiver. The disadvantage is that Itunes has to be running, so the Macbook Pro always has to be on. What I want is to copy the music to my server and stream it from my server to the Airport Express and use an iPhone as a remote, so I can turn the Macbook Pro off.

Dave

It certainly can be done but someone has to write it. Synology's latest DSM has it built in. You can remote into the box and send music via airplay. I use airplay differently. I'll be playing a podcast in the car, unplug so it pauses, come into the house, send it to the airport express that's hidden in the kitchen and un-pause it. It works very well that way.