RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
dvn

Informal Skype discussions with forum members

18 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be inclined to participate in an informal Skype meet-up to discuss a pre-defined topic?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
  2. 2. Would you be inclined to initiate a Skype discussion by starting a thread/topic of your own?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

Joe_Miner

Well, I have a Skype name now..... who do I call? Does the host post their Skype name and we call into them at the appointed time?

geek-accountant

My Skype name is in my profile, so you can get mine from there. Not sure if others put it there or would rather just share it through private message.

dvn

I've been wondering about this. Have you guys had any problems from putting your Skype name out their, in your profile?

geek-accountant

I have not. At least not that I know of. I have not received unsolicited calls or contact request, well maybe 2or3 but I figured that was just the norm.

jmwills

Question....is this intended to be a scheduled event or notice sent out in advance of the event? The concept sounds interesting as an exchange of ideas.

dvn

Question....is this intended to be a scheduled event or notice sent out in advance of the event? The concept sounds interesting as an exchange of ideas.

I plan to post a range for date and time when I first create the thread, then narrow it down after a few folks commit. Hadn't thought about sending a notice, figuring that folks who were interested would monitor the thread, but that's actually a very good idea.

In my eyes, this is not a scheduled event in the sense that it's repeating. For me, this is intended to be a one-off. I'm not saying that by the end of the discussion we couldn't decide to meet again to carry it further. We just may. But my main thought when I created this thread was to capitalize on an opportunity provided by these forums and the spirit of sharing and helping that seems to pervade.

dvn

Skype also needs a way where you have to hold a key down in order to talk, otherwise you are muted.

You can set up a keybind in the Skype settings to toggle this.

geek-accountant

You can set up a keybind in the Skype settings to toggle this.

Checking this out right now!

Unless I am missing it, this is not what I was thinking. I see where you can get a hot key to mute unmute the mic. What I was thinking about is that you had to hold down the key in order to talk. When you let up, you go back to mute.

cskenney

Checking this out right now!

Unless I am missing it, this is not what I was thinking. I see where you can get a hot key to mute unmute the mic. What I was thinking about is that you had to hold down the key in order to talk. When you let up, you go back to mute.

Kinda like a short wave radio mic (or perhaps a CB radio mic).

geek-accountant

Yes, that is what I was thinking about. I guess the down side is you would let off the key too early and cut off the last part of what you where saying.