RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
dvn

Informal Skype discussions with forum members

18 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be inclined to participate in an informal Skype meet-up to discuss a pre-defined topic?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
  2. 2. Would you be inclined to initiate a Skype discussion by starting a thread/topic of your own?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

Guest no-control

Depending on the time I would be interested.

So what counts as a decent microphone or headset?

Anything that doesn't sound like you got your head in a toilet bowl. SEE BYOB episode 1 we are a prime example of what not to sound like laugh.gif

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Anything that doesn't sound like you got your head in a toilet bowl. SEE BYOB episode 1 we are a prime example of what not to sound like laugh.gif

:D

Well, I was hoping for some suggestions. I have been requested to be on some podcasts but I need a decent set up first. Last one I did, I didn't sound like I was in a toilet bowl but it didn't sound good.

pcdoc

:D

Well, I was hoping for some suggestions. I have been requested to be on some podcasts but I need a decent set up first. Last one I did, I didn't sound like I was in a toilet bowl but it didn't sound good.

I had pretty good success with the low cost Sennheiser Headset. Decent noise cancelling. But, for a generic call anything will work.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826106155&cm_re=sennheiser_headset-_-26-106-155-_-Product

dvn

Ok guys. This is great! Sounds like there's some real interest here.

My original thought was to have informal discussions. People join in knowing the topic beforehand. Or, just as validly, join in if they are curious about the topic and have questions. To me, this is a really important point, one that I put in there for myself so I can have the chance to learn things I'm interested in. And it wouldn't matter what kind of headset you had for this as long as people could hear and understand you.

But you guys brought up something I hadn't considered - creating a new type of podcast, parts of which could be added to another podcast as a segment. Or could be published in entirety if it were deemed worthy.

So it seems that there are two ideas/approaches to this. And I for one would participate in either. This is good.

So should we begin by creating a new thread for each topic? Say with a thread title like this:

Skype Informal: best $50 - $100 video cards

For this I might want to ping the BYOB guys to see if one or more of them might be available to join in.

Or something like this:

Skype Informal: Command line - networking

...and hope some networking gurus would jump in.

And it could definitely move a little bit away from the usual forum fare, like so:

SI: Wireshark for beginners

or...

SI: Podcasting Basics

or...

SI: Best iPhone Apps

Another thought about this whole thing: the guy who starts the thread is the moderator by default. He can share that duty or hand it off as he see fit but it's his call. He defines the day and time, and of course he can poll others for input on this. You get the idea. You start it, it's your baby.

Thoughts?

geek-accountant

So pcdoc can host and I can host (other than Tuesday's which is my show). Heck, if we don't want video anyone can host as long as they have Audacity or something similar set up to record. I am assuming we don't want any of this Live on Ustream, right?

Not sure how good this is going to be for a stand alone podcast. I am kind of envisioning a bit of chaos with multiple people talking at one time unless you keep the size pretty small (say under 10).

cskenney

I would think for a while you don't want to do any more than just record the conversation (I wouldn't broadcast on Ustream).

I am sure if there is enough interest and we get some posts for topics that Dave will consider a new forum section for this activity.

Dave

Not sure how good this is going to be for a stand alone podcast. I am kind of envisioning a bit of chaos with multiple people talking at one time unless you keep the size pretty small (say under 10).

I think it could be as long as you let someone speak and wait until they are done before you speak. The problem with multi-host podcasts as you probably all well know is that the second someone finishes talking, the other guys try to start up and walk all over each other and then there is that part where one says, "Ok, you go ahead."

I think this could be good. I can start a new forum in order to facilitate communication. I would join in.

jcollison

I can host too if the need it there. Have all the software necessary to record and pipe to uStream. Just offering

ImTheTypeOfGuy

I think it could be as long as you let someone speak and wait until they are done before you speak. The problem with multi-host podcasts as you probably all well know is that the second someone finishes talking, the other guys try to start up and walk all over each other and then there is that part where one says, "Ok, you go ahead."

I think this could be good. I can start a new forum in order to facilitate communication. I would join in.

Skype needs a "hold your hand up" button so you would know when it is your turn to talk and this problem would go away.

geek-accountant

Skype also needs a way where you have to hold a key down in order to talk, otherwise you are muted.