RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
dvn

Informal Skype discussions with forum members

18 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be inclined to participate in an informal Skype meet-up to discuss a pre-defined topic?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
  2. 2. Would you be inclined to initiate a Skype discussion by starting a thread/topic of your own?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

dvn

Is there any interest in an occasional Skype meet-up where you'd knock around a topic or two? Nothing formal. You'd do this by starting thread to suggest or solicit input on a topic, then define a date and time to get together on Skype. Anyone could do this, that is anyone could initiate their own Skype meet-up with a topic of their choosing in their own thread. You could limit the amount of participants or you could leave it wide open.

For example, you could discuss disk management in WHS 2011. And to narrow that down further, because this goes all over the place, you could talk about RAID solutions. And if that weren't narrow enough, you could refine it further. Topics could range from servers to phones to tablets to cameras, and so on. Should a topic draw a really huge response, people could split up into two or more groups. Maybe...we'd use a ustream channel like HSS, BYOB, and TAG does.

Could be interesting. Or it could be too much work.

What do you think?

ikon

Is there any interest in an occasional Skype meet-up where you'd knock around a topic or two? Nothing formal. You'd do this by starting thread to suggest or solicit input on a topic, then define a date and time to get together on Skype. Anyone could do this, that is anyone could initiate their own Skype meet-up with a topic of their choosing in their own thread. You could limit the amount of participants or you could leave it wide open.

For example, you could discuss disk management in WHS 2011. And to narrow that down further, because this goes all over the place, you could talk about RAID solutions. And if that weren't narrow enough, you could refine it further. Topics could range from servers to phones to tablets to cameras, and so on. Should a topic draw a really huge response, people could split up into two or more groups. Maybe...we'd use a ustream channel like HSS, BYOB, and TAG does.

Could be interesting. Or it could be too much work.

What do you think?

Oh look, 100% say Yes to meetups. Oh wait, I'm the only vote :)

pcdoc

I like, count me in. Other than time zone issues, this will be a great way to exchange ideas.

geek-accountant

Great idea dvn, I am open to some group Skype discussions.

Joe_Miner

So what kind of plan do you folks use with Skype?

Dave

Sounds like a great idea. If someone wants to take the lead I think we could even publish it as podcast. Call it Off Topic or something like that. Even if it's all Home Server talk it could be a great addendum to the regular podcast. No set topic, just open up the microphones and see what comes out!

geek-accountant

Joe_Miner, I have the paid plan where you can have more than 2 video feeds (needed it for my podcast). If we get too many on at one, we may not want video, but we can try.

Dave, I can host the call if you want. I can record the thing with Audacity and put it in a dropbox if you like, unedited of course. :)

pcdoc

I will be glad to get this started. Anyone interested in talking storage and storage expansion. Including SSD, DE replacements, raid, drives and hardware.? Possibly as early as Tuesday of the week. Anyone interested or want to counter with a different idea.

So what kind of plan do you folks use with Skype?

You can just use the free one. Add a decent microphne or headset and you are good to go.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Depending on the time I would be interested.

So what counts as a decent microphone or headset?

vinylfreak

Sounds Brilliant!

Count me in.

Would love to join in when I have open time.

Great idea!