RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

How To: Install Sabnzbd on 2011

CablDeViL

I have a "Client" that wanted to install and run Sabnzbd on WHS 2011 as a service, I had it setup and running fine on WHS v1 so after 2 days of beating on the keyboard I was able to make it work just fine.

If you don't know Sabnzbd is a newsgroup down loader that can download txt articles or binaries and is cross platform / free.

First downloaded the EXE to Windows Home Server 2011. Then remote desktop into the server, run the executable. When the install options windows appears do NOT click "start with windows" and do NOT click "Associate with nzb files". Leave everything to the default for now except "remote control from any computer on your network" you will need to check that. Lastly it will ask for a user name and a password.

At this point the install will complete and install the base program to C:\Program Files (x86)\SABnzbd> . It will also install an icon on your desktop and in the start menu - for NO reason should you ever run Sabnzbd from these icons and I would recommend deleting them.

Next we need to open up our command prompt and create two services, one for sabnzbd's exe and one for the "helper" dependencies.

cd /d "C:\Program Files (x86)\SABnzbd" (((This will put you into Sabnzbd's directory)))

SABnzbd-service.exe -f N:\usenet --server 192.168.1.100:8080 install (((This command will install the sabnzbd exe as a service using the N:\usenet folder as its main download root folder (Change to point to your drive structure) the next part is the servers local ip address and the port you want SAB to run on) Make sure the port does not conflict with any WHS ports))

SABnzbd-helper.exe install (((This will install the dependency service)))

OK now that we have our services created lets go and give it proper permissions. Go into services manager in windows and just open the SABnzbd service NOT the helper service.

Go to the login tab, and add an account that has write permission to the download drive we pointed the service to earlier.

Next make sure the service is running automatically, you do not have to change anything in the helper service.

Back to the command prompt - input "net start SABnzbd" without the quotes. We start this from the command prompt in case there is an error so we can debug it.

Next (Very important) since adding the program sabnzbd.exe to the firewall rules will not allow us access to the web interface we need to open just the port we chose before.

Click start and then in the search box type firewall the click "Windows Firewall with Advanced Security" then click "InboundRules" then "Add Rules". A window will open asking for the new Rules name, use what you like here then Profile=Any - Action=Allow - Program=Any (Very important) - TCP - 8080 for the port. Now you shold be able to connect from any computer on your network.

Now all we have to do to finish configuring SABnzbd is we need to login from a web browser on any PC on the network. So http://192.168.1.100:8080 in this case, input your login and pass and the main cue screen should be displayed. Click on configure and set up the rest of the information.

Just a FYI you cannot change the port or the ip from the SABnzbd's config window or file it must be done at the service level again.

Hope this helps some one here is a link that helped me port from V1 to 2011 ... http://wiki.sabnzbd....-install-on-whs

I have a "Client" that wanted to install and run Sabnzbd on WHS 2011 as a service, I had it setup and running fine on WHS v1 so after 2 days of beating on the keyboard I was able to make it work just fine.

If you don't know Sabnzbd is a newsgroup down loader that can download txt articles or binaries and is cross platform / free.

First downloaded the EXE to Windows Home Server 2011. Then remote desktop into the server, run the executable. When the install options windows appears do NOT click "start with windows" and do NOT click "Associate with nzb files". Leave everything to the default for now except "remote control from any computer on your network" you will need to check that. Lastly it will ask for a user name and a password.

At this point the install will complete and install the base program to C:\Program Files (x86)\SABnzbd> . It will also install an icon on your desktop and in the start menu - for NO reason should you ever run Sabnzbd from these icons and I would recommend deleting them.

Next we need to open up our command prompt and create two services, one for sabnzbd's exe and one for the "helper" dependencies.

cd /d "C:\Program Files (x86)\SABnzbd" (((This will put you into Sabnzbd's directory)))

SABnzbd-service.exe -f N:\usenet --server 192.168.1.100:8080 install (((This command will install the sabnzbd exe as a service using the N:\usenet folder as its main download root folder (Change to point to your drive structure) the next part is the servers local ip address and the port you want SAB to run on) Make sure the port does not conflict with any WHS ports))

SABnzbd-helper.exe install (((This will install the dependency service)))

OK now that we have our services created lets go and give it proper permissions. Go into services manager in windows and just open the SABnzbd service NOT the helper service.

Go to the login tab, and add an account that has write permission to the download drive we pointed the service to earlier.

Next make sure the service is running automatically, you do not have to change anything in the helper service.

Back to the command prompt - input "net start SABnzbd" without the quotes. We start this from the command prompt in case there is an error so we can debug it.

Next (Very important) since adding the program sabnzbd.exe to the firewall rules will not allow us access to the web interface we need to open just the port we chose before.

Click start and then in the search box type firewall the click "Windows Firewall with Advanced Security" then click "InboundRules" then "Add Rules". A window will open asking for the new Rules name, use what you like here then Profile=Any - Action=Allow - Program=Any (Very important) - TCP - 8080 for the port. Now you shold be able to connect from any computer on your network.

Now all we have to do to finish configuring SABnzbd is we need to login from a web browser on any PC on the network. So http://192.168.1.100:8080 in this case, input your login and pass and the main cue screen should be displayed. Click on configure and set up the rest of the information.

Just a FYI you cannot change the port or the ip from the SABnzbd's config window or file it must be done at the service level again.

Hope this helps some one here is a link that helped me port from V1 to 2011 ... http://wiki.sabnzbd....-install-on-whs

That is excellent info! Presumably if you have WHS2011 registered you could access it from Internet as well if you found an NZB you wanted it to pull.

This info is great for other service-driven apps as well; of course the configuration of the service will be program dependant, but the steps and firewall instructions will be very similar.

Thanks!

• 1 year later...

I currently run WS2008R2 on a box with Sabnzbd running within a Win 7 x86 hyper-v VM with 2048 MB RAM and 4 virtual cores. I assume it's a better practice running sabnzbd or any app in a VM on a server vs within the WS2008 OS host itself, correct?

I personally had issues getting that service to work. I found that using the task scheduler seemed to work better in general.

I personally had issues getting that service to work. I found that using the task scheduler seemed to work better in general.

I too am using Sabnzbd and Sickbeard as tasks launched in windows task scheduler. However I am currently running both within a VM on a WS2008R2 box. Wasn't sure whether people recommended a VM or running directly in the server OS.

Whoever needs the setup, I wrote a how to, so just PM me.

jmwillis - please send me your how-to. I sent a PM but you may not have received. Thanks.