RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Love the WHS SHow Podcast ...But!

tbowland

I want it everywhere. Podcasts that is. I also want them to just be there when they come out.
I listen to about four podcasts almost religiously (The WHS Show first) and on occasion up to 6 or 8 others.

Here is the thing. The computer I do my really serious work on, well need to concentrate at and that needs to be clean and stable, I don

You could always do what I do and have the Zune software on the WHS and use that as a "podcatcher". I just plug my Zune in every other day or so to get the latest goodies and I'm good to go.

It would be nice to have a podcatcher add-in for WHS. I run my zune software on my dedicated Media Center box and I have a shared folder setup on my WHS called Podcasts. My Zune syncs when I cradle or via wireless and I have a cheapo mp3 player that I sync to the Podcasts shared folder as well. Although, the cheapo syncs from my desktop.

With WHS and Win7 Libraries I don't see why you can't consume the single downloaded show anywhere you please. You just need to dedicate a machine to do the downloading. Good case for a dedicated Media Center server with HDHomeRun!

Thanks Guys.
Zune on the WHS. I didn't think of that. I tried Juice but it seems to be at the end of it's development life and there were problems. I would rather have a add-in designed to do the job which should be a light job. I will consider Zune on the WHS. Have you found pros & cons?

Re the dedicated machine. I love the idea in cases when I/WIFE want 24/7 functionality. Start - load and leave it 24/7 for ever :0 hence the issue. I always want the new "WHS show" and other podcasts there always! with out problem or issue large or simple so I don't want it on the WMC's or Netbook. From the other side of that I want my WMC powered TV working flawlessly - always! so I keep it clean.
To be honest I need it because my wife wants it ;) There is also the issue of lots of dedicated machines with lots of operating systems $$$$

Anyways, thanks and I would love to here any Pros & Cons to Zune on the server.

http://juicereceiver.sourceforge.net/

Ted

I wrote a JAVA based app that installs as a Windows Service that I've have been running on my WHS for the past 2 months with around 12 feeds set up on it. http://www.incom-racing.com/software/poca

I just started working on a WHS add-in version, but I will take a little time since this will be my first add-in and the first app I've written in 10 years that wasn't in JAVA.

Wow....
I'm sure its a bit of work but I think it will be a popular item in the WHS world.

I have just realized I still have to have the Zune Software running somewhare simply in order to Sync the Zune. *&%#$@* MS that a Apple move.

I'll load you current PC/Java version. Anxious to see it work and I'm sure I'll hear through WHS Show if/when the WHS add-in hits the web.

Thanks,
Ted

The Pro's:
-24/7 functionality and downloading podcasts as soon as they are released
-If you get the wireless working, then it can even sync your files with the WHS being the basement/garage
-You can access the music from any PC using homegroup or regular file sharing

The Con's:
-It really doesn't work the best for music.
-The setup takes a little bit of work, with installing DirectX and such
-Can't run updates directly.
-You can't really run multiple Zune's off of it. At least not easily.

axoid,

I was thinking about your poca app when I was reading this post, I started to do a bit more testing on it to mention here. I'm happy to here your working on a addin version.

John (homeservershow).