RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Backups Through VPN

jtone2k8

I have been trying to find a solution for a Self-Managed "Cloud Backup" by the use of WHS2011/Storage Server Ess 2008 R2. I was just wondering if anyone has tried this out yet.

Here is they plan that i am trying to test, feel free to give me suggestions or if you have tried this to let me know what works and what does not work.

-One server with any of the v2 system with Backups, VPN between the locations, Let the server manage the backups during off hours, and in case of a major diaster at the off site location or if the server drive dies.

-If a restore is necessary just load up a drive from the main location and then just install the drive at the remote location.

Any one try this yet or have had any success?

Edited by jtone2k8

• 2 weeks later...

just to give an update... so far i have been able to get a connection to the server through an ip address, i did not go through and setup a name resolution service. but i have been unable to get a good backup, they get stuck between 30-60 % and then fail, so my next step is to try a clean copy of windows

I do have a client backing up over a vpn. How is your vpn setup, I am using a router to router vpn with a split tunnel so that the remote site goes out to the internet for everything other than my domain which comes through the vpn. this way the tunnel is always up and working.

• 3 weeks later...

Use the free LogMeIn Hamachi 2 option for Windows. It will accomplish exactly what you need and is an always-on tunnel.

• Like 1

Use the free LogMeIn Hamachi 2 option for Windows. It will accomplish exactly what you need and is an always-on tunnel.

Agreed. I've used this option pretty extensively to back up a laptop from the road. Hamachi just works.

• 5 weeks later...

I agree that LogMeIn Hamachi 2 works great for you. I really like Hamachi, It is a very good development by VPN service that securely connects devices and networks, also extending LAN. You can easily create secure virtual networks on-demand, across public and private networks.

I'm currently using a OpenVPN P2P Tunnel. Using pfSense at my site and DD-WRT at the other site. At first I would use mapped drives to send data over. Now i'm using CrashPlan to send backups. CrashPlan sees the other site as if its on my LAN so the data is going thru the tunnel instead on the public internet. I guess you can say my traffic is encrypted twice: the tunnel and the traffic CrashPlan sends.

I've used LogMeIn Hamachi 2 before and its a pretty easy OpenVPN solution to setup.

• 1 year later...

Hamachi worked for me in WHS v1 but after replacing that server with WHS 2011, I'm unable to get it working. I can't connect with the client laptop from outside the network. In addition, when I install the Hamachi client on the server, the network map no longer works on clients.

Can anyone suggest how to resolve these issues? Is there a wiki somewhere that's not based on WHS v1?

Thanks

Hamachi worked for me in WHS v1 but after replacing that server with WHS 2011, I'm unable to get it working. I can't connect with the client laptop from outside the network. In addition, when I install the Hamachi client on the server, the network map no longer works on clients.

Can anyone suggest how to resolve these issues? Is there a wiki somewhere that's not based on WHS v1?

Thanks

You might check with Tinkerguy -- he has/had it running on 2011 -- check his web site at: Hamachi VPN

Edited by Joe_Miner