RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Mirroring in WHS

bitsnbytes

Apologies in advance for the long post, I was trying to provide as much info as possible to get all the help I can :(

After some excellent info on this thread I set out to create a mirror on my Acer easyStore H340-L as shown below. Basically, I have 4x 640 discs in my 4 bays which I want to mirror giving approximately 1.2TB of usable space.

Disc 1 - 640GB (OS + DATA1)

Disc 2 - 640GB - Mirror of Disc 1 (OS + DATA1)

Disc 3 - 640GB - Mirror of Disc 4 (DATA2)

Disc 4 - 640GB (DATA2)

discs.jpg

This doesn't however seem to be to the liking of drive extender and the backup service. Firstly, when I start the windows home server console I get the error below

bs.jpg

So I can't delete any backup tasks since the backup service isn't running. The way I want it to work is the computers wishing to backup will do so, instead of my WHS server pinging them and backing them up, so I don't want any backup services actually and would much rather disable all backup since my drives are mirrored as above so totally redundant and any client computers will use the backup feature of windows 7 to backup. I get the error below when I click on 'Remove Computer' after clicking on 'MEDIACENTRE' which is added automatically since it had the connector software on it

bs2.jpg

This is how my storage tab looks now after converting my discs to dynamic, it says not added but it was fine when the discs were basic i.e. not dynamic discs

storage.jpg

Also, I get loads of health warnings like below. Ideally as I mentioned above, I don't really have the need for either drive extender or the backup service. So any suggestions on how to disable them and the notifications below would be very helpful. Or any recommendations would really help as well (just in case i'm doing something silly, I'm very new to WHS)

health.jpg

I also get the windows error reporting window which clearly seems to suggest that demigrator.exe has crashed which I can only assume has something to do with drive extender. The screenshot below shows the errors and the details of the error just in case it makes sense to anyone (its all greek and latin to me :huh:)

error.jpg

Lastly, out of the box WHS has default shares created like below, is there anyway for me to delete them and create my own?

shares.jpg

Thanks everyone for time out to read this and apologies again for the long post and so many questions. All advice will be highly appreciated

Edited by bitsnbytes

Version 1 was never a big fan of using RAID, of any sort, to the best of my knowledge. This is why Drive Extender was implemented so the best advice I can offer is to blwo away the install and use the built-in tools (drive extender and duplication) to build the install and then add storage.

Build the install using just one drive and get it stable and then start adding drives.

Version 1 was never a big fan of using RAID, of any sort, to the best of my knowledge. This is why Drive Extender was implemented so the best advice I can offer is to blwo away the install and use the built-in tools (drive extender and duplication) to build the install and then add storage.

Build the install using just one drive and get it stable and then start adding drives.

Is there anyway to disable drive extender? i.e. disc manager obviously supports mirroring and I don't need any of the fancy consoles, I'm quite happy to remote login and administer the server. So simple mirror, users, groups and shares would suit me just fine B)

I believe the service is called demigrator (Drive Extender Service) so you need to shut that down. But that begs the question, if you don't need all this, why run WHS and not just a plain vanilla Server 2003 or 2008 install?

You did a great job but on the wrong version of WHS. Version 2 is where this comes into play and what most people are using mirror on. V1 as the other have stated uses DE and it does not like raid at all. I would suggest either removing the raid on this version.

Edited by no-control
redonkulous reply with images

I believe the service is called demigrator (Drive Extender Service) so you need to shut that down. But that begs the question, if you don't need all this, why run WHS and not just a plain vanilla Server 2003 or 2008 install?

I guess the main reason is that the H340 comes with a WHS license so I don't have to spend extra bucks for a new license. If I do stop the demigrator service, then will that also take care of the notification warnings? Currently there are so many of them.

The only one thing that might be really cool is the H340 has a front usb port with a backup button which backs up data from the attached usb drive. Do you have any idea how this works? What I would love to do is have my own custom action so that it works as a dual action button so either copy data from the usb drive or backup data to the usb drive. But I just can't figure out how it works :( No setting that I can see

You did a great job but on the wrong version of WHS. Version 2 is where this comes into play and what most people are using mirror on. V1 as the other have stated uses DE and it does not like raid at all. I would suggest either removing the raid on this version.

Thanks pcdoc, I really do require the raid unfortunately :( will disabling the demigrator service as jmwills mentioned work or do you see issues with that approach?

I would ideally like the OS to be mirrored as well so that I'm covered for any hdd failures

The other approach I thought of is if I do go through the DE route i.e. a traditional WHS use so no mirroring but backup all the shares. That would work for me as well. But then is it possible to say ghost the boot partition and so I can restore the image to another drive in case my OS drive fails? If this works, I don't mind dropping the mirror route and explore this option instead

Guest no-control

Not sure what you're trying to accomplish here. You seem confused on the execution. If you want RAID (pointless in a WHSv1 setup) I would install all 4 drives using a RAID 5 on a hardware controller then install WHS. Since this is an easystore device, not really an Option.

To be sort of blunt (sorry) what you should have bought was either a WHS2011 system to use RAID or a NAS. WHSv1 is very very good at what it does and that's about it. trying to monkey around with RAID while using drive extender is somewhat defeating the purpose.

There is no real need to "ghost" the OS drive. as you can use the server restore disk to restore a failed c: drive and use share dupes to spread the data over multiple disks. If you really want RAID1 of the OS partition either use 2x 2.5" drives in an IcyDock RAID dock or use the software RAID in Disk manager to carve out an additional volume on another disk..

... or use the software RAID in Disk manager to carve out an additional volume on another disk..

Sorry to be daft, but isn't this what I'm doing? I'm trying to have a software raid 1 in disc manager. Not really interested in raid 5 :mellow:

I don't mind keeping WHS v1 as it is since it seems the general consensus is that a raid 1 is not possible in WHS v1. In which case I'll still keep 2 discs for backups (somewhat like a mirror) for all the shares so I should be covered in case of any drive failures. The only concern I had is that in the case of a drive failure which has the OS then would the recovery recognize the shares again? Consider the old drive is dead and recovery would need to be done on a fresh new disc? Based on another users experience on this thread it scared me somewhat and don't want to spend a few days trying to have the new install of WHS recognize my old shares :o

Edited by bitsnbytes

Not sure what you're trying to accomplish here. You seem confused on the execution. If you want RAID (pointless in a WHSv1 setup) I would install all 4 drives using a RAID 5 on a hardware controller then install WHS. Since this is an easystore device, not really an Option.

Also, I went down this route based on the advice you gave on this thread :lol: , perhaps I didn't quite understand the full picture since this the first time I've dabbled with WHS, sorry :(