RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Memory question

TheGuy

OK, I heard something today that did not make sense (at least not to me)...but now I need to ask and know. learning is always a good thing.

OK, a user has a motherboard with 4x2GB memory sticks they are double channel. Therefore two set's of double channel memory.

somebody wanted to get a Quad Channel Kit. 4x4GB to get 16GB.

My question: can you put a Quad Channel Kit into a motherboard that is spec'ed out for Dual Channel memory architecture?

the spec area for the ASUS board states:

4 x DIMM, Max. 16 GB, DDR3 2133(O.C.)*/1333/1066 Non-ECC,Un-buffered Memory

Dual Channel memory architecture

Supports Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (XMP)

* Hyper DIMM support is subject to the physical characteristics of individual CPUs. Some hyper DIMMs only support one DIMM per channel. Please refer to Memory QVL for details.

let me know if the Dual channel and Quad channel can be used in the same board...or you have to stick with dual as per the board spec's.

:unsure:

OK, I heard something today that did not make sense (at least not to me)...but now I need to ask and know. learning is always a good thing.

OK, a user has a motherboard with 4x2GB memory sticks they are double channel. Therefore two set's of double channel memory.

somebody wanted to get a Quad Channel Kit. 4x4GB to get 16GB.

My question: can you put a Quad Channel Kit into a motherboard that is spec'ed out for Dual Channel memory architecture?

the spec area for the ASUS board states:

4 x DIMM, Max. 16 GB, DDR3 2133(O.C.)*/1333/1066 Non-ECC,Un-buffered Memory

Dual Channel memory architecture

Supports Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (XMP)

* Hyper DIMM support is subject to the physical characteristics of individual CPUs. Some hyper DIMMs only support one DIMM per channel. Please refer to Memory QVL for details.

let me know if the Dual channel and Quad channel can be used in the same board...or you have to stick with dual as per the board spec's.

:unsure:

THe short answer is yes. There presently are no consumer boards that use a true quad channel till the X79 boards come out in a couple of months. This set is really a 4 matched pcs, but your board will use them as only a dual channel by architecture. Another words two sets of dual channel.