RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
bondisdead

Intermittent remote access

ikon

You mean IPv6 on wireless N routers, or Tomato on Wireless N routers? I have it running on my ASUS RT-N16 802.11b/g/n Gigabit Wireless Router. Perhaps I should try DD-WRT. I have not been able to get WHS 2011 to configure the router, even though uPNP is enabled. That is why i set up port forwarding manually.

Not to jinx myself, but I have had a stable connection for 1-1/2 hours now. That is the longest by far. But as I said, it will probably be famous last words...

I mean tomato on N routers. Wasn't aware there are any that can run Tomato.

I just checked the Asus site. This is fantastic. Thanks for posting about it. And I see Netgear has 1 open source router too: Rangemax 3500L. I have a use for these at work.

jmwills

If I am not mistaken, the big advantage of N was range. When I loaded Tomato on my Linksys WRT54GL, I was able to boost the signal strength by over 200% so I don't really need an N router.

I think Tomato firwmare for Linksys is at its end but I did find this for NetGear routers (if you care to go down that road). Not me

ikon

If I am not mistaken, the big advantage of N was range. When I loaded Tomato on my Linksys WRT54GL, I was able to boost the signal strength by over 200% so I don't really need an N router.

I think Tomato firwmare for Linksys is at its end but I did find this for NetGear routers (if you care to go down that road). Not me

The single biggest advantage of N is speed; 300 Mbit for example. Range is another advantage, and so is security.

bondisdead

Not to jinx myself, but I have had a stable connection for 1-1/2 hours now. That is the longest by far. But as I said, it will probably be famous last words...

Jinxed. :( Connection is down again. Stepped away from my office, then came back and the connection was gone. Guess the IPv6 change was just a coincidence.

dvn

And right on cue, the Remote Web Access setup page is reporting all is well. I will now close it and never, ever look at it again. Lesson learned. :lol:

bondisdead

I thought I would update this issue. I have not been able to find a way to fix it. Tried many things suggested on this thread, as well as others. Only thing I have not done is do a fresh install and or new hardware.

However, over the weekend I was setting up some tasks for RAID maintenance on the server via a connected monitor/keyboard/mouse. I was noticing that the computer would become very unresponsive. The task manager would go to "Not Responding" for 30-seconds at a time, then it would come back for a second, than unresponsive again. I jumped over to my desktop computer, and the shares were still working. I tried to open the Dashboard, and no success. I try to open dashboard on the server directly, same problem.

Soooo, it looks like my problem is not remote access, but the server just becoming unresponsive! There are no spikes in CPU usage during these outage times. I open the Event Viewer, and the only interesting thing I notice is activity under the Security tab. I see lots of messages about Audit Fail & Audit Success. It goes on for 10-15 minutes, then no more security messages. It then comes back sometime later. I am just not sure whether these logs are normal at all. What does everyone else have in their logs?

No other computers are trying to log in during this time. Only one desktop was turned on in the house, and it was just streaming a podcast.

After hearing what other people observe in their Windows Security Logs, I am thinking I might try a fresh WHS 2011 install, and make observations as to what might be going on. I suppose I could also to a VM install of WHS, but I've never done that before!

pcdoc

Look at the event viewer closely for all the errors. I had that problem after running my new server for about a week and turn out to be a faulty RAID card. The event viewer could point you in the right direction.

bondisdead

There are no "errors" as such. If you sort the event viewer for errors, none are reported. It's just that the Security logs call them Audit Fail. These are the only logs reported during the non-responsive times.

In the case of your faulty RAID card, did you see event viewer errors which clued you in? If so, what were the errors? I have the same HighPoint RAID card that many folks on these forums have, the RocketRaid 2720SGL. If it is flaky, I could see how it would hang the system without any CPU cycles being reported, as I believe the card is self sufficient.

ikon

I'm thinking along the same lines as pcdoc; in his case it was a RAID card. The first thing that crossed my mind as I was reading was, "I wonder if he has HD problems; a bad area or areas that are preventing a clean audit?" I'm not sure what RR cards do to check if hard drives are OK but if there are bad area(s) it could really cause the system to bog down while it re-reads the bad area(s), trying to get the data.

BTW, I don't believe 2720 cards are self-sufficient; as I understand it, they're Host Bus Adapter cards, meaning they rely on the mobo CPU for some of their RAID chores.

bondisdead

What would a security audit dealing with Login, Special Login, Audit Policy Change, etc have to do with a hard-drive? The OS is not on the RAID. Sorry, I'm just trying to learn here! :-) Would a client accessing the server share for streaming need to continually login for access?