RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
bondisdead

Intermittent remote access

bondisdead

I have been having a very difficult time getting consistent connection to my new WHS 2011 build via Remote connection. Either I log onto xxx.homeserver.com right away, and I am up and running. Or it takes a long time (as in several minutes) for the login page, then upon entering username/password, IE will either time out or get an error indicating that my login information is incorrect. Out of the blue, it will work again. This has been happening on/off the last couple of days. When I check the dashboard, it reports no connection issues. Since I get the password error, this kind of tells me that I am getting routed into my server okay, but the server is barfing. Is there any sort of log file I can look at to see what might be going on?

ALternately, maybe this is familiar to someone and can suggest what the problem might be.

Thanks!

jmwills

This could be something as simple as a bad cable. Start there and also check Event Logs. You can also isolate a bad port on the switch by changing ports with another device.

bondisdead

This could be something as simple as a bad cable. Start there and also check Event Logs. You can also isolate a bad port on the switch by changing ports with another device.

I doubt it's a bad cable. It either works, or doesn't. Currently getting a certificate error. It worked fine a few hours ago. Tried it thru my work proxy, then over my 3g. same lack of connection. I looked thru the logs, and could not find any reason from the WHS standpoint why connection was not being allowed.

bondisdead

Wanted to post an update to this, as it is on-going. I don't believe that it's a remote access problem, but more of an issue with the WHS is not allowing an access to get in, or it's so slow to respond, that it times out. I have the same problem whether I am inside or outside of my home network. From inside my network, sometimes I cannot even open the dashboard or RDP into the server. However, I can open the shares just fine, stream from the server, view pictures, play music, etc. The server is up and running, but you cannot logon to it. I check back ten minutes later, and it will be just fine. I have checked the log files, and I see notations about the connection, but no errors or reasons for the connection being denied.

It is getting very frustrating! I am in general very happy with WHS 2011, but this flaky ability to connect to it is killing me. Has anybody else noticed this sort of behavior (ie. not able to connect via dashboard or RDP, then suddenly it works)?

Update: As an example, just 20-minutes ago when I typed this message, I had no access to the server. No I can login w/out a problem!

Edited by bondisdead

bondisdead

Now that it's back up, I can look at the Event Viewer. The only thing that stands out is a System Warning, which was occuring around the time the server was unavailable.

A process serving application pool 'RemoteAppPool' failed to respond to a ping. The process id was '19532'

I observe these for about a half hour, and they stop around the time I was able to log in.

jmwills

Did you try another cable? Rule out the simple stuff first.

bondisdead

Did you try another cable? Rule out the simple stuff first.

I suppose there is no harm in trying, but how would that explain why the server is operating in every other way (serving up data), except for the ability to log in (either RDP or dashboard)?

dvn

I've had my share of remote connection problems in the short time I've been using WHS 2011, right from the beginning, actually. I've seen times when Firefox and Chrome could connect but IE couldn't even resolve the domain name. I've had issues with Media Library in the Remote Web Access page not displaying my media even though all settings were configured correctly. I've seen flaky interaction with UPnP. I've seen manual port settings in the router fail to provide a connection. So, yes. I've noticed and a number of others have as well. However, I don't recall RDP ever failing. Everything is currently working as it should, but I'm not sure I could say how it all came together.

I've had to learn how to get around cert problems by renewing my xxx.homeserver.com domain. To me, that's a trick. Handy, sure. But it doesn't help me understand why the problem occurred in the first place.

I've also reset my router a number of times - back up settings, reset to factory default, login and restore settings. That seems to help at times, other times, no.

bondisdead

Just an update. Nothing to report. It acted up again last night, then about 10-minutes later, I was connected to the server. I did notice Audit Failure and Audit Success messages under the Windows Log - Security tab. However, I noticed the Audit Failure message just before a successful login. Nothing is going on with the server or network at the time. Crazy.

jmwills

Do you have physical access to the server? What I mean is a monitor connected directly to it? If so, try uninstalling the NIC, rebooting and force an install using the latest drivers, not the one Windows wants to use. This sure sounds like a physical issue to me.