RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Photo Editing Software

mattd390

I had two ladies (Jenny & Kristen) on show #1 that somewhat represent the target audience of the show (although I hope we will attract the slightly more advanced photographer also). Kristen used PS and edited a good number of her images and she is someone who might be interested in a price reduction of LR. Jenny on the other hand has never even considered post processing an image, really never even knew the image out of the camera could be improved, or for that matter care about improving it. Someone like her could care less if LR cost only $19.99, she is not going to buy it or spend ANY time learning it.

Now Picasa and WLPG could be an option. They are free and user friendly. While not in the same class as PS of LR, they are more than powerful enough for Jenny.

So while I still recommend LR and then PS for the more serious photographer, for the "snap shot photographer", these two easy to use programs are just right.

The other thing to remember is that these free or low end programs are getting better all the time. WLPG actually allows you to take heads of people from different shots and put them together in a single image. What I would have given for that ability way back when I was taking lots of group shots. :)

Oh, and WLPG can also do panoramas. I tried it; it does an amazingly good job, considering. And it's so easy virtually anyone can do it.

One of the reasons I really like Lightroom is that you are noit editing the actual picture...you can always go back and remove any of the edits you made to a photo. It any of the other applications once you save the file you are overwriting the data unless you save as a different file. This alone is a good reason for using Lightroom.

Of course you will have a learning curve with the software but the rewards far outweigh the time I spent to learn the program.

TIm