RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Photo Editing Software

mattd390

A friend of mine has recently purchased a DSLR and was talking about buying some photo editing software. Is there a decent package out there that you guys could recommend for a starting photographer? She has just been taking graduation pictures and stuff like that. Thanks for ANY help!!

I always highly recommend Adobe Lightroom. However, without an educational discount, the price can run around $250. With the educational discount, it's around $80.

Lightroom is my first choice is she can afford it. If not, look at Adobe Photoshop Elements, it should run about $80. Keep in mind, Photoshop Elements is not on the same level as the full Photoshop or Lightroom.

I like Photoshop Elements and ACDSee. I use ACDSee the most.

Lightroom all the way...I had Elements and didn't really like it. Lightroom is easier and quicker IMO.

As for Educational Discounts...just need anyone in the family that is in school to get the discount. My wife is a teacher but I would have bought the program with the use of my 9 year old son. As long as someone is in school you can get the discount.

Thanks for all of the great info guys! I will check out these programs for sure.

• 1 month later...

Nothing against LR of course; great product; but you might suggest she look at Windows Live Photo Gallery, if for no other reason than so she has a basis for comparison.

Edited by ikon

I have been testing Picasa and Windows Live Photo Gallery (WLPG). So far, I like Picasa better. Layout seems easier to use. But neither of these are in the same league as LR. With the price for the normal version now down to $149, it's hard to suggest anything else.

However, people like my wife may not like the complexity of LR or PS and may prefer the simple interface of Picasa or WLPG. Plus they really don't intend to do any heavy post processing in the first place.

I have been testing Picasa and Windows Live Photo Gallery (WLPG). So far, I like Picasa better. Layout seems easier to use. But neither of these are in the same league as LR. With the price for the normal version now down to $149, it's hard to suggest anything else.

However, people like my wife may not like the complexity of LR or PS and may prefer the simple interface of Picasa or WLPG. Plus they really don't intend to do any heavy post processing in the first place.

Yep. Thanks for stating what I meant so clearly. My reason for suggesting WLPG was basically to say, here's the quick, simply, easy, and cheap, and you can compare that to the more powerful, complex, difficult, and expensive. Pick which suits your needs. I actually use both, depending on what I'm trying to do.