RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

New Laptop Recommendation

jmwills

I didn't know where to put this so if one of the mods needs to move it, please do so.

Requirements: Mobility so I need to stay in the 15.6 range

Processor: Core i3 or i5 will suffice with a minimum of 4 GIGS RAM

OS: Windows (so while MAC's my work for others for me it is not an option)

Budget: ~$750

Lack of BD is not a deal breaker but I do want high quality graphics. I have used Dell laptops for the past 10 years but am not opposed to HP, Lenovo, Acer, etc

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Requirements: Mobility so I need to stay in the 15.6 range

Processor: Core i3 or i5 will suffice with a minimum of 4 GIGS RAM

OS: Windows (so while MAC's my work for others for me it is not an option)

Budget: ~$750

Sager NP 5160 - Starting at $739

I just bought one about two months ago. After some research I came to the conclusion that no ready made Acer/HP/Lenovo/Sony... would meet my needs. Every one of them had one or two things missing or something that I did not want to pay for. With XoticPC, you can customize a LT exactly how you want it for Ram, HDs, BR, Display Res, you name it. You can even order a LT w/o an OS, which is what I did - saved me $90 for Win 7. I am very pleased with the Sager and will prob never buy an Acer/HP/Lenovo/Sony ever again.

I opted for an NP5160 / Core-i7 (2630QM) / 4GB RAM / 500 GB 7200 SG HD / 1080p display and a BR player / Intel® Advanced-N 6230 - 802.11A/B/G/N Wireless LAN Module + Bluetooth. Price $1017.

The starting Sager NP5160 @ $739 is a Core i5 / 320 GB / 4GB Ram . This seems to fit your needs/budget.

I've repaired countless Toshiba notebooks for exactly the same reason...bad DC power input jack (bad solder joints). Old/New, it doesn't matter, they all suck! After seeing their poor build quality I will never ever buy a Toshiba.

I've also never been really happy about Sony proprietary stuff.

Dells are nice (we have loads at work). I'm happy with my Acer netbook. I really like the new Lenovo lineup. I may just buy one for myself and hand-me-down my Acer to my daughter.

I've repaired countless Toshiba notebooks for exactly the same reason...bad DC power input jack (bad solder joints). Old/New, it doesn't matter, they all suck! After seeing their poor build quality I will never ever buy a Toshiba.

I've also never been really happy about Sony proprietary stuff.

Dells are nice (we have loads at work). I'm happy with my Acer netbook. I really like the new Lenovo lineup. I may just buy one for myself and hand-me-down my Acer to my daughter.

OK, so you don't like Toshiba and Sony, Dell and Acer are OK and you like the new Lenovo's.

Good to know, but how does this help the OP.

Can you perhaps suggest a model within the stated budget that meets the OP needs?

It is the only laptop I have ever owned without having problems. I have owned, via work or personal requirement, Dell, Sony, HP, and Acer. I had a few coworkers with Toshiba. Problems include everything from BSOD, to wireless connectivity issues, cheap quality, slow boot times, hardware failures. Only problem I have had with Dell is they become slow because they last so long.

Thanks guy. I almost pulled the trigger on an Inspiron 15R until I saw it only had a 10/100 NIC. Really Dell....get real.