RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Websites on WHS 2011

Chris

Ok so I’ve taken the leap and moved from my trusty V1 to 2011, at first glance Microsoft have made something simple as complicated as can be.

My issue is simple, I want to run websites using iis 7 through my home server box, but no matter what I try I just keep getting the error 500. In V1 this worked a treat any ideas or advice

• 4 weeks later...

*Bumped*

You may need to be a little more descriptive on what you tried in the past and what is not working now.

500 is an internal server error, so it sounds like something isn't set up correct with the site you're trying to run. Can you provide more information on exactly what kind of website you're trying to set up? One thing to watch for is that WHS 2011 is a 64-bit OS, which can sometimes causes issues since you have to make sure that any Application Pools are configured correctly to be a 64-bit or 32-bit process.

500 is an internal server error, so it sounds like something isn't set up correct with the site you're trying to run. Can you provide more information on exactly what kind of website you're trying to set up? One thing to watch for is that WHS 2011 is a 64-bit OS, which can sometimes causes issues since you have to make sure that any Application Pools are configured correctly to be a 64-bit or 32-bit process.

Would this 64 vs 32 bit issue exist if 2011 had the same procedure as v1? IOW, Chris says it's way complicated compared to v1. Is this a function of the changes MS made to 2011 or is it purely a 64/32 bit issue?

Would this 64 vs 32 bit issue exist if 2011 had the same procedure as v1? IOW, Chris says it's way complicated compared to v1. Is this a function of the changes MS made to 2011 or is it purely a 64/32 bit issue?

It depends on what you're trying to do. A simple static site should be just as easy to set up in 2011 as it was in V1. Active sites have to be able to execute some kind of DLL typically, which requires that the DLL be the same bit-ness as the execute process. IIS 7 does have some major administration changes compared to IIS 6 which can cause confusion, but I doubt it's that since the error is an internal server error and not an authentication or page not found error.

It depends on what you're trying to do. A simple static site should be just as easy to set up in 2011 as it was in V1. Active sites have to be able to execute some kind of DLL typically, which requires that the DLL be the same bit-ness as the execute process. IIS 7 does have some major administration changes compared to IIS 6 which can cause confusion, but I doubt it's that since the error is an internal server error and not an authentication or page not found error.

Excellent. Thanks. At some point I may want to set up my own photo site on 2011. Do you know if it has such a thing built in?

Excellent. Thanks. At some point I may want to set up my own photo site on 2011. Do you know if it has such a thing built in?

The media browsing functionality lets you view your photos through remote web access, but that requires that you log into the site. If that's not what you want, you'll probably have to install something. There are a lot of different web applications around that allow you to do this, any of them that work on IIS7 should work on WHS 2011.

The media browsing functionality lets you view your photos through remote web access, but that requires that you log into the site. If that's not what you want, you'll probably have to install something. There are a lot of different web applications around that allow you to do this, any of them that work on IIS7 should work on WHS 2011.

Thanks. Yeah, I would be looking for something like Gallery but that can run on 2011. If anyone has suggestions, fire away ;)