1 GB Ram

1.6 TB

Case: Ultra Grid

WHS 2011 Specs:

Asus M2A-VM HDMI (re-purposed)

AMD Phenom II X3 715 BE 2.8 ghz

4 GB DDR3 (re-purposed)

2.8 TB

I converted my old server into a virtual one to retain add-ons and a small number of files to have available after the actual upgrade.

Video:

Nice video and thank you for sharing it. Very nicely done. Only other comment is why external drives and not internal?

other comment is why external drives and not internal?

I probably should have clarified. On the old server, I had 3 internal and the 3 external I showed in the video as part of the storage pool (1.6 TB total). In the new server, I was able to replace 2 of the internal and all 3 of the external with the newer/bigger internal drives (2.8 TB total). I used a 4th external 2TB for backup which I've kept for 2011 so I'm down to just that one external now.

I probably should have clarified. On the old server, I had 3 internal and the 3 external I showed in the video as part of the storage pool (1.6 TB total). In the new server, I was able to replace 2 of the internal and all 3 of the external with the newer/bigger internal drives (2.8 TB total). I used a 4th external 2TB for backup which I've kept for 2011 so I'm down to just that one external now.

Aah! Much better, thanks for the clarification.

• 4 months later...

John, I have the same motherboard as you. Just did an install of Window Home Server 2011 after my WHS v1 crapped out.

I have three questions for you, if you would be so kind and I'm not taking up to much of your time.

1) Do you have to do anything special to get video output from the HDMI? ie - are their bios settings that you have to enable?

2) The driver disk that comes with the mobo doesn't seem to run under WHS 2011, what is the workaround? I don't have any audio drivers installed (not a good thing for me)

3) After about 2 weeks of successful client backups, I now have an error "the windows server client computer backup service is not running" which is continuous. I have scoured the Internet and canpt find anything authoritative as to what is cause or fix. MS site is not helpful at all. Do you have any idea as to how I can fix, short of a complete reinstall including wipe of all the drives?