RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Help recovering iTunes Library

SETaft

I really messed up this past weekend while removing data from a laptop I was giving to another family member. Rather than reformatting the hard drive, I decided to delete everything (I know, the data is easily recoverable but there wasn't anything important on the system). Once all of the files were deleted I deleted the user account as well. Problem was, my iTunes library resided on my Windows Homeserver and was being shared by multiple systems. After delivering the system, I found that about 8gb of music and podcasts apparently are no longer available on the server. When ever I try to access one of the pieces of music or any other data from iTunes, I receive an error message stating that the file can not be found. Any thoughts on a recovery?

Edited by SETaft

Were you backing up the laptop? Do those backups still reside on the server? Go into the backup (if you have it) and retrieve your missing files.

Sorry for the delayed response. I was at Road America working the Rolex Grand Am race. I just took a look at backup on the WHS box for both my desktop and my laptop. The iTunes music library contains far fewer things than it once did. The files no longer resided on the desktop machine, rather, I think they were on the WHS box.

If I remember correctly, I had moved the iTunes library from the desktop machine to the WHS box and then shared it with the laptop. Then, I deleted all of my files on the Laptop while preparing it to be disposed of. My concern is that I inadvertently deleted my iTunes library on the WHS box. If I open iTunes on the Desktop everything appears normal until I attempt to access the music, podcasts or books that are listed there. When I do try to play them, I receive an error message stating that the original file can not be found? Perhaps the removal I did on the Laptop removed the iTunes directory and files from the WHS box. The directory I setup there appears to be gone.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, if you purchased the music through iTunes then it's recoverable. What you need to do is go into iTunes from a Windows 7 machine and click on the iTunes Store then on the far right hand side of the screen look under Quick Links for "Purchased (NEW)" and click on this. Now you will be presented with a screen that will allow you to redownload previously purchased content such as music (music videos), apps, and books.

As for the podcasts you will need to download them again.

Hope this helps...

• 1 month later...

Ok, if you purchased the music through iTunes then it's recoverable. What you need to do is go into iTunes from a Windows 7 machine and click on the iTunes Store then on the far right hand side of the screen look under Quick Links for "Purchased (NEW)" and click on this. Now you will be presented with a screen that will allow you to redownload previously purchased content such as music (music videos), apps, and books.

As for the podcasts you will need to download them again.

Hope this helps...

This is absolutely correct. This will pull down music and apps. I believe this is part of Apple's iCloud offering in iTunes. It's very handy because I use iTunes on my work PC as well. If I purchase songs at home, on my iPhone or my iPad, the next time I launch iTunes it automatically pulls down the songs and the apps.

Movies and TV shows are NOT a part of this offering. If you've lost those, it looks like you have to purchase them again in order to get them back.

You can also try looking at some of your oldest backups, if you have any prior to shuffling the data around between systems. I've set my WHS up so that I can maintain a minimum of two years' worth of data, preferably three. Although as my DVD/Blu-ray rip collection grows on its DE-duplicated drives, space gets gobbled up pretty quick, although I've got another 2TB drive on its way here from Amazon.