RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Dave

Final thoughts after purchasing Nikon D3100

ikon

Absolutely it depends on the definition of 'good'. And I, too, would be interested to see what photos Joe_Miner is rejecting. I think you and I both suspect he's being pretty critical (which is fine if what you want is to show only your very best work). Your ratio for acceptable 'snapshots' seems quite reasonable. By 'snapshots' I only mean that they're shots you willingly show to friends & family but you wouldn't want them published (or to be judged using them as examples of your best work).

Joe_Miner

I guess it depends on your definition of good. You are only going to get so many photos published no matter how many you take. My recent shooting has been swim meets and I would count my ratio as photos I am willing to post on Facebook & Smugmug for the parents to view vs the total taken. The last meet, I shot 425 and posted 167, so that's a little better than 1 in 4. Joe, I would interested in talking to you about what was wrong with the other 19 images.

Well, their pictures of my grandson so of course I'm critical about the quality and whether or not I'm able to capture a smile or expression. I'm also experimenting with all the different modes, with and without flash, continuous shutter, etc.

Many are close and I certainly keep like (didn't frame it right with head too close to the edge):

2012-06-25_Luke071.jpg

While a few I think I did good and just need a little cropping with PSE:

2012-06-26C_Luke003.jpg

Just been going to JPG which are huge (10-12+ MB ea).

ikon

2 comments/suggestions:

1. now that you have a big-boy DSLR, shoot RAW format as much as possible. It gives the best quality and you can do so much more with it in post processing.
  2. study up on fill and bounce flash. Use fill flash outdoors and bounce flash indoors. The difference in quality can be amazing. To do these right, however, you will need an external flash unit. You can do fill flash to some extent with the built-in flash, but it's not as good. One tip when shooting fill flash using the built-in flash: try placing some crumpled up Kleenex in front of the flash. Experiment with it. You can use this technique indoors as well but, like I said, bounce flash is far better indoors.

geek-accountant

Joe, you and I should start a podcast called - jpeg2RAW - Beginner Series. It is actually a show I am going to start. Just looking for the right co-host(s) and to complete the new website.

ikon

Good idea. It seems more & more cameras are supporting RAW (or am I imagining it), so a basic show would help a lot of beginners.

geek-accountant

I think there is a big market for a beginners show. In the next 6 months I hope to have that once launched, plus I have an idea for a really short weekly show and a couple of industry specific shows. Will not be able to get them all going in the next 6 months, but we will for sure be expanding the jpeg2RAW brand.

vinylfreak

I think there is a big market for a beginners show. In the next 6 months I hope to have that once launched, plus I have an idea for a really short weekly show and a couple of industry specific shows. Will not be able to get them all going in the next 6 months, but we will for sure be expanding the jpeg2RAW brand.

Wow! That's a great idea Mike!

Please try to include some Basic tutorials for LR and PS if you can..

Good Luck!

geek-accountant

Wow! That's a great idea Mike!

Please try to include some Basic tutorials for LR and PS if you can..

Good Luck!

Funny you should mention that Tim. We are also planning to kick off a short format podcast called - jpeg2RAW - Quick Tips. It will be a video only feed and will be 10 minutes or less for each episode. LR & PS will be some of the topics we cover. Over time, we will also include some "on location" stuff as well.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Looks like we have another podcast junkie on our hands.