RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Access Service Inside my Network

JoeMcGrath

JoeMcGrath

Hi

I have just received a new HomeServer 2011 box and need to configure it for a customer. I have plenty of experience with the other MS OS's but this is the first time I will be looking at this.

Just wanted to know if it was possible to use the remote access facility to access another network resource other than one of the computers in the same homegroup - i.e. the Web interface for the CCTV at the house for example. I dont mind if there is a widget i need to get to do this but just want to know if it is possible before i burn time on it.

I'm looking at getting them a range of Static IP addresses from their ISP but if it could be done this way that would save an awful lot of faffing about.

Cheers

Joe

I am not sure this is what you are looking for but I have embeded links that open the viewing ports of my security cameras and it works great. You do not need a static IP for that but have to do some creative port forwarding.

Hi

I have just received a new HomeServer 2011 box and need to configure it for a customer. I have plenty of experience with the other MS OS's but this is the first time I will be looking at this.

Just wanted to know if it was possible to use the remote access facility to access another network resource other than one of the computers in the same homegroup - i.e. the Web interface for the CCTV at the house for example. I dont mind if there is a widget i need to get to do this but just want to know if it is possible before i burn time on it.

I'm looking at getting them a range of Static IP addresses from their ISP but if it could be done this way that would save an awful lot of faffing about.

Cheers

Joe

Not sure, but if you want to access a CCTV web page on a LAN you only really need to create a port forward on the router; you don't need WHS at all to do it. OTOH, you could remote into the WHS and use a browser to access the camera web page. Not sure why you would want that, but it could be done. Is the close to what you're after?

JoeMcGrath

Not sure, but if you want to access a CCTV web page on a LAN you only really need to create a port forward on the router; you don't need WHS at all to do it. OTOH, you could remote into the WHS and use a browser to access the camera web page. Not sure why you would want that, but it could be done. Is the close to what you're after?

SOunds good to me. The CCTV system runs with a DVR unit with its own inbuilt webserver so I wasnt sure what way it was possible to go about accessing it via WHS2011. LIke i said this is my first time getting my hands on this OS - or any home server OS for that matter so not 100% sure what is possible and what isnt.

Will have a play about and take it from there.

CHeers

jmwills

Although I have not tried to alter those external links, it shouldn't be that difficult to do.

SOunds good to me. The CCTV system runs with a DVR unit with its own inbuilt webserver so I wasnt sure what way it was possible to go about accessing it via WHS2011. LIke i said this is my first time getting my hands on this OS - or any home server OS for that matter so not 100% sure what is possible and what isnt.

Will have a play about and take it from there.

CHeers

OK, to access the DVR web server without using WHS, the basic process is:

1. give your CCTV DVR a static IP on your network, so its address will always be the same
  2. log into your router. Take note of its external IP
  3. find the Port Forwarding section in your router
  4. set up a new port forward
  5. configure the port forward so it looks for, say, port 20080 on the external network link (i.e. from the internet). I can be any port from 1024 to 65535, so 20080 is just one I think is easy to remember
  6. configure the port forward to forward the data to the IP of your DVR, but also tell it to send it to port 80 of the DVR

That should be it. From outside your LAN, you would use a web browser to go to the external IP of your router, e.g. http://XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:20080. That should take straight to the web page of your DVR.

Note, this really works best if you have an ISP that doesn't change your external IP very often. This seems to be more true of cable ISPs than DSL from the phone companies. To help overcome changing IPs you can regtster a domain name and then use a DDNS service to monitor changes to your external IP. This would allow you to browse to http://mydomain:20080 and have it work almost always.

Hope I'm not repeating stuff you already know.

JoeMcGrath

OK, to access the DVR web server without using WHS, the basic process is:

1. give your CCTV DVR a static IP on your network, so its address will always be the same
  2. log into your router. Take note of its external IP
  3. find the Port Forwarding section in your router
  4. set up a new port forward
  5. configure the port forward so it looks for, say, port 20080 on the external network link (i.e. from the internet). I can be any port from 1024 to 65535, so 20080 is just one I think is easy to remember
  6. configure the port forward to forward the data to the IP of your DVR, but also tell it to send it to port 80 of the DVR

That should be it. From outside your LAN, you would use a web browser to go to the external IP of your router, e.g. http://XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:20080. That should take straight to the web page of your DVR.

Note, this really works best if you have an ISP that doesn't change your external IP very often. This seems to be more true of cable ISPs than DSL from the phone companies. To help overcome changing IPs you can regtster a domain name and then use a DDNS service to monitor changes to your external IP. This would allow you to browse to http://mydomain:20080 and have it work almost always.

Hope I'm not repeating stuff you already know.

YEah, know all that however I was trying to avoid having to move from a domestic service to a business service which is what is required to get static IPs from BT. If I could have done it via the remote access page for WHS then that would be better.

Have only just put the box in so need to do the basics first before any of this fancy stuff.

Cheers

jmwills

If all you need is the "appearance" of a static IP address, try something like No-IP or Dynamic DNS. Both work good for a nominal charge ~$35/year.

YEah, know all that however I was trying to avoid having to move from a domestic service to a business service which is what is required to get static IPs from BT. If I could have done it via the remote access page for WHS then that would be better.

Have only just put the box in so need to do the basics first before any of this fancy stuff.

Cheers

As jmwills also said, DDNS will take care of the IP without having to get business class service.