RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
TechMule

Whs 2011 - Iso Of How To Guide To Customize Websites

TechMule

I am starting to get Remote access to work and want to create a few websites as well.

In v1 I used Whist to get started and then took it form there.

In v2 I have Remote access working and I have customized via Dashboard / Server Settings / Customize. This lets me change the background image, Title and Home Page Links. Well, two out of three of these things work, I do not see the Home Page links for some reason.

I see this process modifies C:\Program Files\Windows Server\Bin\WebApps\RemoteAccess\Customization\Admin\custom.xml

Why do my home page links not appear?

Where are the rest of the files, so I can create custom websites like family photos, cars, etc?

Are there any good resources that list steps to take to get this done?

Edited by TechMule

pcdoc

I am starting to get Remote access to work and want to create a few websites as well.

In v1 I used Whist to get started and then took it form there.

In v2 I have Remote access working and I have customized via Dashboard / Server Settings / Customize. This lets me change the background image, Title and Home Page Links. Well, two out of three of these things work, I do not see the Home Page links for some reason.

I see this process modifies C:\Program Files\Windows Server\Bin\WebApps\RemoteAccess\Customization\Admin\custom.xml

Why do my home page links not appear?

Where are the rest of the files, so I can create custom websites like family photos, cars, etc?

Are there any good resources that list steps to take to get this done?

Assuming you have given access to the function in the user profile and have checked off "Homepage Links", the ability to add links should appear in the server settings under customize remote access. Are you saying you have done that and you do not see them or did I miss something?

TechMule

Assuming you have given access to the function in the user profile and have checked off "Homepage Links", the ability to add links should appear in the server settings under customize remote access. Are you saying you have done that and you do not see them or did I miss something?

OK, I see the links once I log in. I am looking for a way to expose links before a user logs in, so I can share a few public sites.

I guess I can create a user/pw (or perhaps no pw ?) and only check Home Page Links to allow users access.

I'd rather just provide a URL rather than a URL + ID/pw for access.

sunarise

I am going through the same thing and found info on another site. Whiist did this in V1 but the creator is upset with MS and V2 so he is not building it for V2

Bad news as I use it for jpg storage and also websites that are linked.

I have been told there is NOTHING easy in v2 to do this. Unless you know how to setup IIS you are sol. I may putl 2011 and go back to v1

This is what I have been told by someone that I have seen on these forums for years and has answered lots of questions over time. If you dont know how to setup IIS you cannot get this to work. I thought when I read about 2011 there was some hype that it would have the ability to host web pages. THe funky login web page is not what I call flexibilty.

Commodore

I am not at all conversant in HTML but your post contained an essential clue for me to customized the logon page with my own favicon. After much trial and error I found that the file to edit is: "C:\Program Files\Windows Server\Bin\WebApps\RemoteAccess\AccountPage\Logon.aspx". I would expect that this is where you would need to put your the edits for your pre-logon links.

I also found that if I wanted to reference saved images for icons, I needed to store them here: "C:\Program Files\Windows Server\Bin\WebApps\RemoteAccess\Customization\Admin". Reference them in the HTML code like this: "/Remote/Customization/Admin/favicon.ico".

To add the favicon to the full site following logon, I also edited: "C:\Program Files\Windows Server\Bin\WebApps\RemoteAccess\RemoteAccess.master"

Hope this helps.

msawyer91

I wanted to customize my logon page as well. Since the server solicits traffic over port 443 it's screaming for attention to any cybercriminal's port scanner. Thus I like to put up a threatening message that says the Mafia will hunt you down if you try to break into my server.

I was expecting to find a slew of ASPX pages, as was the case in WHS v1.

In WHS 2011, however, it looks like Microsoft locked it all down. Everything has been precompiled into DLLs; hitting Default.aspx dumps you into Wssg.RootSite.dll.

In C:\Program Files\Windows Server\bin you'll see a bunch of files named Wssg.Web.<SomeNameHere>.dll. I took a look at a couple of these with Red Gate's .NET Reflector. It looks like if you want to do any customization on the site short of changing a logo or background image, you'll need to desecrate the WHS license agreement and tear apart Microsoft's DLLs.

My guess is they got too many helpdesk calls from people who broke their WHS v1 websites so they took away all reasonable chances of customizing it. Bummer. I guess I won't be able to send Vito and the rest of the boys from Joysey after the bad guys who try breaking into my server. :(

msawyer91

To add insult to injury, Microsloth set the file perms so that Administrators only have read perms to the files in the site directory. And if you try to grant yourself write perms, you can't. At least not until you steal ownership of the file from TrustedInstaller. Then you can change them.

Long story short...it seems that Microsloth really does NOT want you messing around with the website. :( :'( :(

cvscorp

Hello,

I may be able to help. It is not possible to "customize" the RA website or the main page, other than setting the background and title, as you were able to with WHSv1, using add-ons or other software. RA is very finiky and you can break it very easily.

Please read the post here on this website: http://homeserversho...__60#entry39957

I have my own website up on a "homeserver" being hosted at port 80 with the RA site at https (443) hidden from view, and it all works well.

You can see both at http://cvscorp.homeserver.com with the RA site at https.

I agree with most users of home servers that leaving RA at port 80 and exposing it to the world is not good for security reasons.

This is why I put my company's website at port 80 for the domain name offered by MS and RA, so those visiting don't see the RA. (Not that you can't get to it)

In other words, out of site, out of mind.

Another neat tool I found for monitoring or reporting on access to these self hosted sites is "SmarterStats". (http://www.smarterto...e-editions.aspx) This software is free for "one website" monitoring, but you can use the URL of the RA site to monitor access, and this software reads your c:\inetpub\logs to give you detailed info on any "port scans" which might take place. I am trying to work with SmarterTools to reduce the license requirements, as to purchase this product would set you back $300.00. Not a reasonable sum to monitor one or two sites.

At any rate, for those who want to do this, it's fairly simple. Using IIS7 in Server Manager, or running IIS from Administration tools, you can add any site you like, as long as you remove port 80 from the RA bindings, leaving 443 for RA's use. Then add your website content to the IIS7 tree as a "New Website", as well as assigning it's bindings in IIS7 to port 80.

Of course this assumes you have your website content built, tested and working. It only needs to be physically located on a WHS drive, but not shared as a directory for any purpose. You will need two copies of your web content. Locate one copy on a local drive of your main desktop machine. This will be your "editing and publishing" copy. Then place the second copy on a server drive, and point IIS7 to this directory using the "New Website" feature.

Once you have both copies located where you want them, I use Sharepoint Designer to publish changes between the two website directories, publishing changes from the "local copy" to the "hosted copy" served by IIS7.

You do need to be knowledgable about both IIS7 and Sharepoint, as well as adding IIS7 content, directory security, Mime types, IP Restrictions, and Handler Mappings for your web content under IIS7, but this does and will work.

For TechMule, the sites you are trying to add through the "customized via Dashboard / Server Settings / Customize" do work, but the difference between WHSv1 and v2 are different. In WhsV1, the links were changed/added to the main RA page, and available "before you log in". In Whsv2, the links are created on the main webpage "after you log in", and are not accessable outside the RA as they were in V1.

The differences between Whsv1 and v2 with reference to the way RA was configured and used have changed drastically. None of the stuff I used on Whsv1 webhosting or RA was transferable to v2. Oh well, MS strikes again. HP configured Whsv1 to their liking, with a feature rich set of addins and eye candy, but MS stripped it all out, including DE <(I won't start on that again).

In conslusion, I am working hard now on a Whsv1 "RemoteAlert" replacement (not developing another add-in) but looking for tools which will allow me to "monitor" the RA port, as well as my own site and pages hosted on port 80 of the homeserver.com URL.

There is not much you can do to the RA main page as far as listing links for pictures and other websites and it does not work like Whsv1 RA (Sorry).

I hope some of this helps.

Edited by cvscorp

ikon

Thanks for posting this cvscorp. As I was reading the posts, the thought that struck me was that MS was just trying to protect the site they pre-configured and supplied with WHS2011. I was thinking, "Well, don't try to use the supplied site; just make a new one with the setup you want." That has the advantage of preserving the ability to remote into the server even if someone makes a big mistake with a site they prepared themselves.

cvscorp

In this senerio, the only change you make to the default RA site is relieving it of the port 80 binding. (Of course you may have changed the bitmap and title, done elsewhere).

This leaves the default IIS7 served RA site and access intact, although through port 443 instead of 80, and leaves port 80 <(the most valuable port in this free MS DDNS webhosting senerio) free for your use. All you need is a PHP or IIS7 compatible site to host there.

Of course you could use the IIS7 "Domain and IP Restrictions" to lock the RA site down to a few domains or IP's, instead of the world. If you don't plan to access from Europe, don't let them view it.

Edited by cvscorp