RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Crucial RealSSD C300 120 GB SATA III

dvn

I just ordered a Crucial RealSSD C300 CTFDDAC128MAG-1G1 2.5" 128GB SATA III. This'll be the first non-Sandforce SSD for me. If reviews around the net are any indicator, I'm going to be happy. I don't own a SATA 3 mobo, but that isn't a problem for me right now. I'm looking to replace my two Mushkin Callisto Enhanced Deluxe 60GB SSD in RAID 0, in part so I can have TRIM once again, and I can definitely find good homes for a couple of good quality 60GB SSD's.

The Vertex 3 120GB Max IOPS edition was very tempting though it was roughly $100 more. I looked at it for a long time but in the end decided to skip it. I was put off by the number of lock ups reported with the V3. I understand a firmware update is coming, so I'm sure it'll be fixed. I have to say what put the Crucial over the top were the reviews in Newegg. Overall, they were quite positive and there were a lot of them.

So, anyone else own one of these Crucial SSD's?

Great drive. I am certain you will be happy with it. For now anyway you made the right choice. I am going on 2 days without a lockup since installing the new firmware so I am happy about that, but according to OCZ, the real fixes are due for about 1-2 more weeks and the fixes are coming from Sandforce not OCZ. The vertex 3 gets all the publicity because the OCZ has largest SSD user base but all Sandforce 2281 have the same issue. Corsair and others have worse problems and are not selling the drives right now. Early adopter problems. The C300 is a great drive and great value so can't wait to hear about it. Good luck with it if you are like me, you will enjoy going back to one single drive.

Thanks for the feedback. And good luck with the coming firmware updates.

Yes, it was cool at first to see the crazy fast benchmarks of SSDs in RAID 0, but I can certainly put two 60GB SSDs to better use. Perhaps in a couple of laptops. Besides, I've been experiencing some periodic freezes/lock ups. So I was wondering if there was something about the Sandforce controller when used with certain mobos/controller chips? The thing is, I've had freezes/lock ups on my desktop but never on my laptop which is using an OCZ Agility 2. My current desktop SSD's are the Mushkins but I remember having the same problem with my G.Skill 120GB SSD which also uses Sandforce. So I'll see how it goes when I get the Crucial. Man, so many factors. Intel RST drivers could be another? Who knows. Maybe a faulty controller on the motherboard itself. These intermittent problems are the worst. They're not show-stoppers but they give you a lot of confidence either.

Just an update, after almost 3 full days, got the BSOD last night. Was greated to it this morning. For now back to the Vertex 2 till the firmware that address this is released hopefully this week. I have gone back and forth so much that I just leave both drives in the system so I can move back and forth. Rally want to get past this. I love experimenting and testing but I am ready to move on now.

And that, in a nutshell, is why the Crucial looked so good to me. I know Sandgorce/OCZ will get this worked out but it's got to be a drag waiting to use your $300+ investment.

And that, in a nutshell, is why the Crucial looked so good to me. I know Sandgorce/OCZ will get this worked out but it's got to be a drag waiting to use your $300+ investment.

Yep, but I will tell you it is faster than heck. It still impresses me when I run it. Looking forward to having the issues behind me so I can enjoy the speed.

Oh, I still have my eye on it. And the Crucial may find itself in a new home after a while. But that'll be after I update my entire system. Still running a Q9550 on a 775 mobo right now. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi ALL,

I wonder if you can help me - I too got the Crucial C300 120GB drive, updated its firmware (level 6 - it did not accept level 7) but was surprised with a longer boot time (53 sec. instead of 24 second before the update) - I ran the HW test via Windows 7 experience index, and that went from 5.9 to 7.8 (the same as my processor 980x). where did I go wrong; I was expecting a blazing boot time of 15 sec. or less, Please advice, Thanks!

==== My System =======

ASUS Rampage III Extreme MoBo - 12GB RAM - Video HD-5770 - C300 120GB SSD on SATA III controller - Windows 7 Ult. x64

======================

Hi ALL,

I wonder if you can help me - I too got the Crucial C300 120GB drive, updated its firmware (level 6 - it did not accept level 7) but was surprised with a longer boot time (53 sec. instead of 24 second before the update) - I ran the HW test via Windows 7 experience index, and that went from 5.9 to 7.8 (the same as my processor 980x). where did I go wrong; I was expecting a blazing boot time of 15 sec. or less, Please advice, Thanks!

==== My System =======

ASUS Rampage III Extreme MoBo - 12GB RAM - Video HD-5770 - C300 120GB SSD on SATA III controller - Windows 7 Ult. x64

======================

Try the drive on a SATA II controller. Some drives have reported some challenges being detected correctly on some Sata 3 controllers.