RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Raid Cooling

pcdoc

Here is something I came up with for cooling my raid controllers (or other hardware). As many of you know, I do not like things that run too hot especially since it gets a bit warm here in socal. Here is a simple solution that works very well and in many cases will only a couple of bucks to make. I use this on my Highpoint cards as most controller cards run very hot especially the passively cooled ones. I positioned this about one slot down from the raid card and attach it to the motherboard header. Make sure you use a nice quiet fan. You can use a 60-80mm fan for this application. This picture, I used a 60mm but the 80's work fine as well you just have to position it different. All you need is tye wraps, fan, and your bracket off you computer.

p1010725z.jpg

p1010723t.jpg

Rename title to "post your ghetto mods here".

I think its more like "I spent all my funds on the RAID Controller, so look what I had to resort to . . ."

sweet and cheap :lol:

But why not mount it directly onto the board, using straps?

That way its less hassle to change motherboard, every 3 years :P

I like it!

How long have you been running this setup? Have you seen any losening of the cable tie?

Sure, I will add some pics in the next day or two. I have 3 servers exactly the same since the RC and the first raid setup I did. Looks ok when mounted and it works better than silly slot coolers.

Rename title to "post your ghetto mods here".

Too many Vertex 3's I had to cut corners... At least this things does not cause lock ups which is more than I can saw for V3.

I like it!

How long have you been running this setup? Have you seen any losening of the cable tie?

Running since my first raid setup for the RC version. No loosing of the ties, it actually pretty secure.