RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Podcast 140, What do you think ?

diehard

Episode 140 is jam packed full of Windows Home Server goodness. Alex Piskarev from covecube.com dropped by to talk about StableBit, DrivePool, Scanner, and some interesting tools he developed for WHS v1′s backup database. We have news and meetup chat as well. Enjoy!

So what do you think of CoveCube and their Drivepool for WHS2011 and Scanner for WHS v1 ?

The Meetup is not coming up quickly, will you attend ?

I am very impressed with Alex and the software he is putting together. I think Drivepool has to be in the lead right now. I may be wrong, but it seems like he had Jim and Dave very impressed. One thing I was questioning though, you guys kept saying file duplication in place of when I expected you to say drive pooling. Am I missing something? The product is to allow drive pooling first and foremost, right? Duplication is just a subset of that.

I am very impressed with Alex and the software he is putting together. I think Drivepool has to be in the lead right now. I may be wrong, but it seems like he had Jim and Dave very impressed. One thing I was questioning though, you guys kept saying file duplication in place of when I expected you to say drive pooling. Am I missing something? The product is to allow drive pooling first and foremost, right? Duplication is just a subset of that.

Correct, good point, your making me think here :P

The impression I get from the WHS community is that drive pooling is "expected" and therefore not much thought about asking how it all works, "this should be simple to do, we really don't need to discuss it" type mentality, and that folder or file duplication is the key, the uncertainty, the unknown, the concern. Is this data safe because of duplication ? becomes the important question.

For myself, drive pooling is more important than duplication, I prefer to use the shares backup option in v1.

To me, drive pooling would be a lot more important than duplication. Pooling makes your operation more cost efficient with being able to use random drives, but it has to work and work all the time. I don't think I ever heard Alex commit to using the product, or did he?

He definitely said he was using it.

Thanks John for the clarification.

Excellent Podcast.

Can you try to get the developer of DriveBender to do a podcast with you guys too? I'm going to try StableBit DrivePool first, but I can't say I exactly know enough about DriveBender yet. (and inquiring minds would like to know!)

I really enjoyed listing to Alex from StableBit. (Employee# 0000000001). The talks were very informative and I enjoyed learning about Alex's complete background and way of thinking. Listening to Alex swayed me to try Stablebit DrivePool over DriveBender first. (and I'll be buying Scanner as well, I'm sure)

I just posted a few minor suggestions for Scanner/DrivePool:

http://forum.covecube.com/discussion/75/suggestions-manual-entry-of-missing-hard-drive-serial-numbers-wireframe-3d-model-physical-location

Great show. Nice in depth interview with a developer. Interesting hearing Alex describe the method he uses for recovery attempts of bad sectors. Sounds a lot like Spinrite's Dynastat method as described by Steve Gibson himself. I wonder if he took some cues from that. It also made me think of the ATA command that allows you to fly the read head slightly offset from center. I was wondering if Alex employed that in his software. And if he did, how did he get around the Windows API, or does API support the offset command?

Excellent Podcast.

Can you try to get the developer of DriveBender to do a podcast with you guys too? I'm going to try StableBit DrivePool first, but I can't say I exactly know enough about DriveBender yet. (and inquiring minds would like to know!)

I really enjoyed listing to Alex from StableBit. (Employee# 0000000001). The talks were very informative and I enjoyed learning about Alex's complete background and way of thinking. Listening to Alex swayed me to try Stablebit DrivePool over DriveBender first. (and I'll be buying Scanner as well, I'm sure)

I just posted a few minor suggestions for Scanner/DrivePool:

http://forum.covecube.com/discussion/75/suggestions-manual-entry-of-missing-hard-drive-serial-numbers-wireframe-3d-model-physical-location

Welcome,

Dave speaks to Anthony Smith from DriveBender on podcast 125. http://homeservershow.com/the-home-server-show-125.html

We also hear from DataCore on Drive harmony on podcast 130. http://homeservershow.com/the-home-server-show-130.html