RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
JediTim

Drobo FS

JediTim

I received my weekly deals email from Costco and noticed that they were offering a Drobo FS 6TB bundle for $699. I checked Newegg and Amazon and this would appear to be a great price.

I may actually consider getting this as a backup to my Raid 5 video array. I could backup the WHS 2011 and leave this offsite.

Edited by JediTim

Joe_Miner

I received my weekly deals email from Costco and noticed that they were offering a Drobo FS 6TB bundle for $699. I checked Newegg and Amazon and this would appear to be a great price.

I may actually consider getting this as a backup to my Raid 5 video array. I could backup the WHS 2011 and leave this offsite.

It does look pretty intersting. I hope we can see some HW at the meet on the 25th.

jcollison

I guess I am obligated to chime in on this. Love the deal. Thanks for sharing!

JediTim

I guess I am obligated to chime in on this. Love the deal. Thanks for sharing!

Jim...sadly I was thinking of you when I saw the link.

Do have a question though...how easy would it be to sync between the WHS 2011 and the Drobo FS? Can I just connect in to my network and using something like Allways Sync to backup the server? Are there any issues with the 2TB limit doing this?

I have the WHS 2011 with a 2TB drive being backed up via Raid 1 as well as an external backup and an 8TB Raid 5 array for my videos.

pcdoc

Just a thought. For less than $699 you could build another smaller server with raid strictly for backup that will be faster, redundant and have money left over for a movie and dinner.

JediTim

Just a thought. For less than $699 you could build another smaller server with raid strictly for backup that will be faster, redundant and have money left over for a movie and dinner.

Thanks...I may actually do this with my old WHS...rebuild with another version of WHS. Just thought it would be easier to take the Drobo out for offsite storage rather than another server.

pcdoc

Thanks...I may actually do this with my old WHS...rebuild with another version of WHS. Just thought it would be easier to take the Drobo out for offsite storage rather than another server.

Well that is true, it is easier to carry a smaller box. A second server/pc works great for real time backup. As I mentioned on another post, I am doing that with allwaysync once a week. I set it to automatically sync when I power up the server and it keeps a second copy of everything current. An overkill but I smaller or reduced version would be ideal in many cases.

JediTim

Well that is true, it is easier to carry a smaller box. A second server/pc works great for real time backup. As I mentioned on another post, I am doing that with allwaysync once a week. I set it to automatically sync when I power up the server and it keeps a second copy of everything current. An overkill but I smaller or reduced version would be ideal in many cases.

What server are you running on your second server/PC? I currently still have my WHS V1 running and once I confirm the 2011 is running without issue I can repurpose the hardware to perform the same as you do. I really don't want to reinstall 400+ movies should the Raid 5 ever have an issue.