RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Reflection effect

geek-accountant

OK, so not everyone is going to like the last one I posted which was edited in Nik Software. But what do you guys think of this one? The photos are from a few years ago when my kids where a bit younger. One thing that might not be noticeable to the novice photographer is that I used flash in these photos. I am sure my neighborer thought I was an idiot since it was a sunny day, but the flash really help even out the light and added a little "catch light" in their eyes. Anyway, I am a really slow Photoshop user, so I only did this effect once since it takes me a long time to manually create. Yes, this was a layer by layer manual creation. No Photoshop actions, no one button image effect.

Maybe I should have made the reflection a bit darker.

aeffect-small.jpg

I think it looks great and the one thing I learned in the ONLY photography class I took was that flash is sometimes needed even on a sunny day to fill in some spots. Dude.....you are getting me interested in shooting again!!

I never took a photography class, but have thought about it lately.

The background story on this image is that each year I would make a big leave pile in Fall and the boys and I would play in them. As they got older, they made it harder for me to take photos of them. It was always "here comes Dad with the camera again" and they would stop what ever they where doing or cover their face. So that year when I made the leave pile, I told them they had to let me take photos of them in the pile before they could play in it. They almost chose not to play in it at all, which is what happened the next year. :(

I never took a photography class, but have thought about it lately.

The background story on this image is that each year I would make a big leave pile in Fall and the boys and I would play in them. As they got older, they made it harder for me to take photos of them. It was always "here comes Dad with the camera again" and they would stop what ever they where doing or cover their face. So that year when I made the leave pile, I told them they had to let me take photos of them in the pile before they could play in it. They almost chose not to play in it at all, which is what happened the next year. :(

I absolutely like the effect...this would look perfect framed the way you had it above. I agree with the use of flash...fills in the faces for a more pleasing shot.

I feel for you about your boys...I can see it changing with my 9 year old as well.

I need to get this framed. I guess this happens to a lot of people, but I just don't print that many photos. I take tons, but print VERY few. If you came in my home, you would never know that photography is a hobby of mine, hardly any photos on the wall that are mine. Now in my office, I have 3 20x30" or larger prints plus several smaller ones. But NO ONE is allowed in my office. :D

I need to get this framed. I guess this happens to a lot of people, but I just don't print that many photos. I take tons, but print VERY few. If you came in my home, you would never know that photography is a hobby of mine, hardly any photos on the wall that are mine. Now in my office, I have 3 20x30" or larger prints plus several smaller ones. But NO ONE is allowed in my office. :D

I think this is definitely an issue with digital photography. I have probablyy taken 20.000-25,000 photos over the past six or so years with my DSLR but have probably printed less than 500.

You are better than me. I have taken over 200,000 and have printed less than 100.

You are better than me. I have taken over 200,000 and have printed less than 100.

200,000...how in the world do you manage that many photos. I sometimes have issues keeping up with the photos I take now...never the less ten times the amount.

I use Lightroom. But I sure wish I was more religious about keywording my images. I do LOVE Lightroom's Smart Collections and I make use of the standard collections, but it would be sooo much better if I had keyworded all my images. I give thought every once in a while about going back and adding more keywords, but that will take FOREVER!

I use Lightroom. But I sure wish I was more religious about keywording my images. I do LOVE Lightroom's Smart Collections and I make use of the standard collections, but it would be sooo much better if I had keyworded all my images. I give thought every once in a while about going back and adding more keywords, but that will take FOREVER!

I try to keyword everything I have taken over the past two years since using Lightroom. Sadly the keywords I used during import to Photoshop Elements didn't transfer into Bridge / Lightroom. I have tried to do a month at a time of photos from 2005 - 2009 while importing into Lightroom 3. Not going as quickly as I remember and some of my old keywords from Bridge don't match to the keyword tree I'm using now. Planning when creating keyword hierarchy would have been beneficial.