RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Possible to clone system drive in WHS 2011?

bondisdead

I'm a little late to answer this, but the easiest way without 3rd party software. Would have been to break the 3.5" array use 1 3.5" and 1 2.5" create a new mirror (effectively cloning the OS to the 2.5"). Then again break the RAID remove the remaining 3.5" add in the 2nd 2.5" and create (resync) the mirror. If anything goes wrong during the process the original 3.5" you pulled contains an untainted backup image of the OS.

I agree that would be a method w/out the need for 3rd party software. But there are freebie clone programs out there as well. My process took about 15-minutes, and I still had the original 3.5" drives in the event anything went wrong.

It's nice to know that this can be done in WHS 2011, and there are several ways to do it.

Guest no-control

I prefer to use either free (macrium) or paid (Acronis) software to do this as well, but just wanted to let it be known you can drive hop the OS. useful if you do not want to take the server down.

• 2 months later...

I'd like to clone my system drive to another disk. (not RAID)

My goal is to replace the main C:\ D:\ system disk. (2TB 5200 RPM) with a new (2TB 7200 RPM) Seagate Constellation ES drive. (EX495 Server) I can use another desktop computer to do it if I hear it should be ok.

If yes, can I just use CloneZilla ? http://clonezilla.org/

I remember reading WHS V1 had a problem cloning the system disk due to some embedded Disk ID that would freak out everything. Hopefully this is NOT the case in WHS 2011.

Also...........

I'm beta testing StableBit Drive Pool, so I just asked the following support question.

(I'll report my findings)

Product: StableBit DrivePool

Topic: A question about how the product works

Will the Drive Pool survive and rebuild itself if I were to reinstall WHS 2011 from scratch and then insert all the DP Drives again afterwards?

My goal is to replace the main C:\ D:\ system disk. (2TB 5200 RPM) with a new (2TB 7200 RPM) Seagate Constellation ES drive.

Option one:

I turn off the EX495 and SansDigital boxes. Take out ALL hard drives. Insert NEW drive and install WHS 2011 from scratch. Then........ ? (recover Drive Pool drives)

Option two:

I clone the main system hard drive directly to another hard drive using my other desktop.

(SATA to SATA) http://clonezilla.org/

Option three:

I backup ALL my data to a ton of spare hard drives I have laying around.

I do the clean install, and not save Drive Pool drives. (just format and start fresh)

I realize that the drive pool folders are just hidden folders per disk, but since I have duplication on I would have to go through the painful merging process again.

I'm thinking Option two would be the easiest, but I'd like to know what you recommend or expect to happen with say option one. I wouldnt expect M2 to support auto rebuilding shares from re-install of OS, but if M3 does I can wait to swap the drives in the near future.

I see no reply here, but I want to do something similar. Any luck?

• 1 year later...

Yes, you can clone the system drive on WHS2011 systems.

BTW, pertaining to JazJon's post back in June, it's not a drive ID that prevents you from cloning a WHSv1 system drive. Actually you can clone it; I've done it several times. What you can't do is back up or clone the system drive, use the system for a while, then use that clone, or restore that backup, and expect the system to function - it won't.

The issue is that dynamic information about the Drive Pool is stored on the system drive, information that will not be up-to-date on a clone or backup. The out-of-date info will confuse Drive Extender and mess up the Drive Pool.

Bottom line: if you clone a WHSv1 system drive and then install the clone without turning the system on before installing the clone, it will work just fine.

-snip-

Product: StableBit DrivePool

Topic: A question about how the product works

Will the Drive Pool survive and rebuild itself if I were to reinstall WHS 2011 from scratch and then insert all the DP Drives again afterwards?

My goal is to replace the main C:\ D:\ system disk. (2TB 5200 RPM) with a new (2TB 7200 RPM) Seagate Constellation ES drive.

Option one:

I turn off the EX495 and SansDigital boxes. Take out ALL hard drives. Insert NEW drive and install WHS 2011 from scratch. Then........ ? (recover Drive Pool drives)

-snip-

Yes, you can do this with StableBit DrivePool.

I actually did this very thing recently (a Month or two ago) on my MicroServer (Hal-9000). Here are the steps I did:

1. Shut down WHS-2011 by shutting down Hal-9000.

2. Pulled all 5 of my 3TB Data Drives

3. I removed the 60GB OS Drive

4. I replaced the 60GB OS Drive with a 256GB OS Drive

5. I did a clean install of WHS-2011 onto the 256GB OS Drive.

6. I reinstalled Stablebit DrivePool and Stablebit Scanner

7. I again Shut down the Hal-9000

8. I reinstalled all 5 of my 3TB Data Drives

9. When I powered up Hal-9000 -- StableBit DrivePool saw the previous Pool data folders and I saw DrivePool E: in my WHS-2011 DashBoard (“DashBoard”) but it did not see my Server Share Folders (“Folders”) in DrivePool E:

10. I used File explorer to view my folders in DrivePool E: and renamed each folder by adding an “A” to the end of the folder name (“foldersA”).

11. I went back to my DashBoard and moved all of my Folders to DrivePool E:. I then created in DrivePool E: those Folders that I had created before in addition to the Standard Folders supplied by WHS-2011. The Folders that I created or added to DrivePool E: -- I enabled folder duplication.

12. I used File explorer to move the contents of foldersA to Folders. Which was nearly instantaneous.

13. I deleted the now empty foldersA

14. All of my data was once again visible to the DashBoard. When I turned on media sharing my media was available on the network. The one thing I didn’t save was my Client Backups from the previous install but that had been my intention not to save that.

15. I next re-installed the USB 3.0 drivers and re-attached a USB drive for server backup.

16. I next re-installed Allway Sync Pro.

17. Next re-install connector SW to Clients to be backed-up.

The whole process went very quickly IMHO – the major time consumer was the actual clean installation of WHS-2011 but on an SSD that still went quickly. YMMV

Hal is happy.

Edit: Of course I find out afterwards that StableBit has a utility called WSS TroubleShooter's Folder Re-Share Feature that automates the above which means a rebuild will go that much faster!! http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Utilities It is even suppose to work pulling a old WHS2011 drivepool into S2012E -- haven't tried that yet though. YMMV http://forum.covecube.com/discussion/827/windows-server-essentials-2012

Edited by Joe_Miner