RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Possible to clone system drive in WHS 2011?

bondisdead

I have had my new DIY WHS 2011 build up and running for about a week. I have successfully transferred over all of my data, with the exception of the old client backups (see separate thread about the *lack of* ability to easily transfer over WHS v1 client backups to WHS 2011). I did a fresh backup of the client computers, so I should be okay unless I discover something in the next week or two that requires me to go back. The one downside is that I had a few system images of computers that I built for folks. I will lose those, so hopefully they won't have any issues. ;-)

Anyways, that is all off-topic from the reason I started this thread, LOL. In my case, I have room for eleven 3.5" desktop drives. However, the case has a couple of mounts for 2.5" laptop (or SSD) drives. I'd like to take advantage of that now, before getting too entrenched in this thing. I currently have two 160GB desktop drives in a RAID1 supplied by my motherboard. This contains the C: system partition and the D: remaining partition (approx 80GB). Is it possible to clone these C:/D: partitions to a pair of 160GB laptop drives (also in RAID1), or will I do best to have a fresh install? I'd rather not set everything up all over again.

I'm not clear on what hardware is controlling the laptop drives in RAID1, but since they are already in Raid1 the computer would see the OS drives (the 3.5" drives in RAID1) as one drive and the 2.5" drives as one drive. However, cloning software may or may not see the arrays as one drive. Regardless, if you copy the OS drive to either ONE of the 2.5" drives in the array if two are seen by the cloning software, or to the ONLY drive if the cloning software sees the array as one drive, it will work. If the cloning software sees the array as two drives, clone the OS drive to either of the two 2.5" drives in the array and use the RAID software to complete the RAID1 copy (if it doesn't do it automatically - which I can't answer for you not knowing what hardware is controlling the array.)

I'm not clear on what hardware is controlling the laptop drives in RAID1, but since they are already in Raid1 the computer would see the OS drives (the 3.5" drives in RAID1) as one drive and the 2.5" drives as one drive. However, cloning software may or may not see the arrays as one drive. Regardless, if you copy the OS drive to either ONE of the 2.5" drives in the array if two are seen by the cloning software, or to the ONLY drive if the cloning software sees the array as one drive, it will work. If the cloning software sees the array as two drives, clone the OS drive to either of the two 2.5" drives in the array and use the RAID software to complete the RAID1 copy (if it doesn't do it automatically - which I can't answer for you not knowing what hardware is controlling the array.)

Thanks for the response! The two 2.5" drives are not in a raid...yet! My goal is to replace the current dual 3.5" RAID1 with the new dual 2.5" RAID1. I have Acronis, so I gues I can see what it has available. Another thought that comes to mind it to just do a server restore from a backup to a new 2.5" RAID1 array. Wouldn't that effectively do the same thing, ie. OS now running off of two 2.5" drives in RAID1?

Install the OS on one drive; image it and then add the second drive to create the RAID 1 array. Why not just use the built in imaging tool from the server and create a VHD image from the exisiting RAID 1 array? You can offload it to any drive and if you desired, mount that in a Hyper V environment.

Ever since the Windows 7/Server 2008 code was introduced, I have been creating images using the built-in tool for restore purposes. Granted, it is a snapshot at one time but it can get you back and running VERY fast.

How would I create that VHD from whs? Install 2.5" RAID array, then remote desktop in? Was not aware of these tools u mention.

Install the OS first and get it "stabilized and patched". Create the VHD image from there and or add the array. The image is more easily created very early on in the install process.

I wanted to report back a success story! I first created the RAID1 array with the two 160GB 2.5" laptop drives. I then booted into Acronis, then did a clone from my WHS-OS RAID1 array of two 160GB 3.5" desktop drives to the new RAID1 array. I rebooted, went into BIOS, and changed the boot order to select the new RAID1 array. Booted to the desktop no problem! Very surprised it worked so easily! ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to clone my system drive to another disk. (not RAID)

My goal is to replace the main C:\ D:\ system disk. (2TB 5200 RPM) with a new (2TB 7200 RPM) Seagate Constellation ES drive. (EX495 Server) I can use another desktop computer to do it if I hear it should be ok.

If yes, can I just use CloneZilla ? http://clonezilla.org/

I remember reading WHS V1 had a problem cloning the system disk due to some embedded Disk ID that would freak out everything. Hopefully this is NOT the case in WHS 2011.

Also...........

I'm beta testing StableBit Drive Pool, so I just asked the following support question.

(I'll report my findings)

Product: StableBit DrivePool

Topic: A question about how the product works

Will the Drive Pool survive and rebuild itself if I were to reinstall WHS 2011 from scratch and then insert all the DP Drives again afterwards?

My goal is to replace the main C:\ D:\ system disk. (2TB 5200 RPM) with a new (2TB 7200 RPM) Seagate Constellation ES drive.

Option one:

I turn off the EX495 and SansDigital boxes. Take out ALL hard drives. Insert NEW drive and install WHS 2011 from scratch. Then........ ? (recover Drive Pool drives)

Option two:

I clone the main system hard drive directly to another hard drive using my other desktop.

(SATA to SATA) http://clonezilla.org/

Option three:

I backup ALL my data to a ton of spare hard drives I have laying around.

I do the clean install, and not save Drive Pool drives. (just format and start fresh)

I realize that the drive pool folders are just hidden folders per disk, but since I have duplication on I would have to go through the painful merging process again.

I'm thinking Option two would be the easiest, but I'd like to know what you recommend or expect to happen with say option one. I wouldnt expect M2 to support auto rebuilding shares from re-install of OS, but if M3 does I can wait to swap the drives in the near future.

I'd like to clone my system drive to another disk. (not RAID)

My goal is to replace the main C:\ D:\ system disk. (2TB 5200 RPM) with a new (2TB 7200 RPM) Seagate Constellation ES drive. (EX495 Server) I can use another desktop computer to do it if I hear it should be ok.

If yes, can I just use CloneZilla ? http://clonezilla.org/

I remember reading WHS V1 had a problem cloning the system disk due to some embedded Disk ID that would freak out everything. Hopefully this is NOT the case in WHS 2011.

My success story is with WHS 2011. I tried what you are suggesting with WHS v1 a few years back, and was unsuccessful. Likely for the reasons you are talking about.

Guest no-control

I'm a little late to answer this, but the easiest way without 3rd party software. Would have been to break the 3.5" array use 1 3.5" and 1 2.5" create a new mirror (effectively cloning the OS to the 2.5"). Then again break the RAID remove the remaining 3.5" add in the 2nd 2.5" and create (resync) the mirror. If anything goes wrong during the process the original 3.5" you pulled contains an untainted backup image of the OS.