RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Building a Test WHS

PCEddie

Good Morning Everyone,

With new add-ins for WHS 2011, I do not test box to give these add-ins a try. I have a spare case, power supply, and hard drives. What I need is a motherboard, cpu, and memory. I have been looking around to find a combo deal but nothing that would fit this build.

I was thinking of a Intel Dual core 2 processor or a AMD. This build will be used for testing and eventually used in a production environment. I would like to have a motherboard to have at least 4 SATA ports but would like 6 SATA ports.

What motherboard, cpu, and ram are you using for your WHS 2011 test box?

Thanks for your suggestions

Good Morning Everyone,

With new add-ins for WHS 2011, I do not test box to give these add-ins a try. I have a spare case, power supply, and hard drives. What I need is a motherboard, cpu, and memory. I have been looking around to find a combo deal but nothing that would fit this build.

I was thinking of a Intel Dual core 2 processor or a AMD. This build will be used for testing and eventually used in a production environment. I would like to have a motherboard to have at least 4 SATA ports but would like 6 SATA ports.

Thanks for your suggestions

For the short time I had a test box I was using a core I3 on a gigabyte H55. Now I am testign using one of my main machine running Virtual box and using a VM as a test enviorment.

Check out my post on the Gigabyte micro ATX H67-based motherboard with i3 2100T cpu. I love the setup. Onboard graphics good enough for server purposes. Has USB 3 for future attachment of a sans digital tower raid. Very low power (perfect for production server). Used 2x2GB Rip Jaw DDR1333 RAM. There are 6 sata ports total, 2 of them are 6 GB/s ports. can't wait to put it into production after the drive extender replacement is sorted out...

rev

• 3 months later...

A followup to this post. Since money is tight (with the purchase of a iPhone 4S 64GB), I have decided to use a Dell Optiplex 745 as a WHS 2011 test pc. So far I have SBS Essentials 2011 running on the computer. The computer has 2GB of RAM, a 1.60 GHZ dual core processor, and a 1TB WD Black HD. I am not running anything data intensive on my test box but just getting a better understanding how SBS Essentials 2011 works.