RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Cannot login with Remote Web Access from laptops/desktops in my lan

spaceage

I am able to connect to my WHS (ACER Aspire easystore H342) using Remote Desktop Connection from all deskopts/laptops in my home lan without any problem, but I can't make the Remote Web Access work.

The message I get from Firefox or IE is "Your client does not have permission to get URL/ from this server."

I created the users account and allowed the remote access properties in the server console.

Then I forwarded port 80 443 4125 in my router (WLAN 11n ADSL Router)

What else do I need to configure?

More, this morning I went to a friend ski bootfitter to make some correction to my skiboots... and I could access from his laptop!!! Then I went to my father house, tried with his laptop and again I logged without any problem and i noticed this: the home page of http://(my domain).homeserver.com is different.

When I try to remote access from my destkop, I have a blank page

When I tried both my father's and my friend's laptop, I had a picture with a family or something similar.

Shouldn't be a problem with my router (or I could not access from anywhere I suppose)

So what else? Both firefox and ie works perfectly...

I am really confused...

S.

I am able to connect to my WHS (ACER Aspire easystore H342) using Remote Desktop Connection from all deskopts/laptops in my home lan without any problem, but I can't make the Remote Web Access work.

The message I get from Firefox or IE is "Your client does not have permission to get URL/ from this server."

I created the users account and allowed the remote access properties in the server console.

Then I forwarded port 80 443 4125 in my router (WLAN 11n ADSL Router)

What else do I need to configure?

More, this morning I went to a friend ski bootfitter to make some correction to my skiboots... and I could access from his laptop!!! Then I went to my father house, tried with his laptop and again I logged without any problem and i noticed this: the home page of http://(my domain).homeserver.com is different.

When I try to remote access from my destkop, I have a blank page

When I tried both my father's and my friend's laptop, I had a picture with a family or something similar.

Shouldn't be a problem with my router (or I could not access from anywhere I suppose)

So what else? Both firefox and ie works perfectly...

I am really confused...

S.

I have an issue accessing with Google chrome but it works perfectly with IE8 or 9. Have your tried remote access with the internet explorer?

Yes, same problem both with firefox4.01 and ie8

Well, not the end of the world

I can obviously use the remote desktop access when from home and the web remote access when outside, as it looks like it is working everywhere (I asked a couple of friends to try from home and they logged without problem), but not inside my lan, so it MUST be something in my router configuration (or in my router specs)

If someone knows how to fix the problem, then great.

Otherway... I will live with it :)

Yes, same problem both with firefox4.01 and ie8

Well, not the end of the world

I can obviously use the remote desktop access when from home and the web remote access when outside, as it looks like it is working everywhere (I asked a couple of friends to try from home and they logged without problem), but not inside my lan, so it MUST be something in my router configuration (or in my router specs)

If someone knows how to fix the problem, then great.

Otherway... I will live with it :)

You mention you can access it from outside your LAN, but it was all from other PCs/laptops as well. Limit the variables...see if you can connect wither with your laptop from another Internet connection (outside your LAN) or from one of the other systems that did work from inside your LAN.

If it is definitely your LAN configs (i.e. you take your laptop to a coffee shop and it works from there) then the problem is likely with how the ports are forwarded. Remember inside your LAN the IPs are using (most likely) a non-addressable IP (i.e. 10.x.x.x or 192.168.x.x, etc). The router may only be forwarding outside packets. Another point to check is what is the URL when you try and use the remote desktop? Does it remain X.homeserver.com? Have you tried accessing your WHS via IP - both internal and external (i.e. 192.18.x.x and your "real" IP from your provider) and/or via the WHS system name? You may find it works if you try accessing it via one those addresses. If so, post that info here and it will help narrow down the problem.

If others can access it and you cannot, then your configurations settings are correct so leave those alone for now. I'd start looking at DNS and as a test you need to go your WAN side (outward facing) IP and try to connect using that IP address in this manner.

https://101.101.101.101:443 where 101.101.101.101 is your IP Address

If you can get to the logon page by using this, I would flush the DNS Cache form all local clients by using the command ipconfig /flushdns

Just a thought...........

Thanks for answers

This is what I found and decided to do in the meantime...

First I don't want to change any configuration in my router and/or lan because everything else is working perfectly and I have some bad memories from the past when I did it :lol:

Second, if I digit my homeserver ip address (192.etc.etc.etc) or http://(myservername)in the firefox/IE address bar, I can access without problem.

So it could be a problem with the DNS cache (as jmwills said) or the fact that my router does not support "loopback" as suggested in another forum I posted the same topic. ("This means it does not recognise how to route a URL that resolves to its own external IP address back into the internal web site" as I have been explained)

I will try to flush the dns cache, but if it does not work and I can keep on logging using the alternative ways inside the lan (together with remote desktop) and remote web access from outside, I will not change anything in my router, I am too scared!!!

Last, help me with this if you can (you know much more than me, I am a noob with whs...)

Is there a mail client, software or anyway you want to call it, that can organize all my mail accounts on whs?

Let me explain.

I have about 10 different mail accounts (...) and what I am looking for is a software like outlook, thunderbird or eudora to be resident on the server, but can allow me to check incoming emails and send new messages both if I log from Remote Desktop inside the lan or with Remote Web Access outside the lan, but leaving all the mails on the server, both in, out & archived. (best would be if I could run a client on any desktop/laptop in the lan without using remote desktop)

Any suggestion about?