RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Need help with restoring

eagle63

Hey guys, well it finally happened - a hard drive failure in my media center PC has left me needing to restore from a windows home server backup. At first I was almost a little excited because I was anxious to see how slick the restore process is. But it hasn't gone well, and now I'm not so excited. :( First, here's the details of my setup:

- My client PC (the one I'm trying to restore) is a win7 64-bit box that I use as a my main HTPC.

- the home server is a home-built WHS v1.

- I put the WHS restore CD onto a USB thumb drive, so that I could boot from that rather than a DVD. (believe it or not, my HTPC doesn't even have a DVD drive!)

So I put a new hard drive in the HPTC and boot using the restore CD image from my USB stick. No problems. After booting it shows me the screen indicating the network cards and storage devices it has found. It found my new hard drive just fine, but the network cards box is empty. After lots of googling, I decide that I must be seeing the 32-bit/64-bit issue. (WHSv1 is 32-bit, but my client machine is 64-bit) Per some suggestions on the internet, I downloaded a 32-bit Vista driver for my built-in NIC on my motherboard. I put that on a second USB stick, and started over.

Now, when the restore process scans for drivers, it DOES find my 32-bit NIC driver and then displays my NIC in the network cards box. At this point I thought I must be home free, but unfortunately I wasn't. After clicking continue, it searches my network in an attempt to find the home server. It never does, and if I try to input the server name manually it immediately throws up an error indicating that either my network is down or my WHS isn't on. (neither of which is the case)

Questions:

1. The obvious first question is: what do I do now?? Any additional troubleshooting steps or tips? Yes I could manually re-install everything and start over, but I don't want to throw in the towel yet - partially because I'd like to know how to do this in case I ever need to restore again.

2. This whole 32-bit vs. 64-bit thing doesn't make any sense to me. Yes, my client PC is a 64-bit machine, but that's only with regard to the CPU. The NIC isn't 64 bit, nor is anything else other than the CPU. So why does it matter that the WHSv1 restore CD is 32-bit but my CPU is 64-bit? If the restore CD doesn't happen to have a driver for my NIC then fine, but what does that have to do with 32/64 bit?

Thanks to any and all suggestions!!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dave

• diehard

• Renny

• eagle63

Top Posters In This Topic

You could probably spin your wheels for a couple more hours trying to remedy this or simply take the HTPC's new hard drive to your main PC and do the restore from there. Either via USB converter or install it to a sata port. Since your a home build you can do it from the server too. Go to c:\program files\client restore wizard.exe Run it and follow the directions. Just don't restore your htpc drive to your important drives on your PC!

You could probably spin your wheels for a couple more hours trying to remedy this or simply take the HTPC's new hard drive to your main PC and do the restore from there. Either via USB converter or install it to a sata port. Since your a home build you can do it from the server too. Go to c:\program files\client restore wizard.exe Run it and follow the directions. Just don't restore your htpc drive to your important drives on your PC!

Thanks Dave! A few more questions: So regarding your last point, I could take my new hard drive and hook it up to my home server box and then run the restore directly on the home server? (using the restore wizard you indicated?) Wow, that sounds like the easiest option.

Not sure I followed your first idea.. Are you saying to put my new hard drive into different PC (not the HTPC and not the home server?) and try doing the restore there? What is the USB converter for?

Thnx again!

Edited by eagle63

Yes to all the above. If you have a USB hard drive dock then you can plug it into your PC and use the new hard drive as the target for the restore. If not just turn off the PC and put the new drive into a free port on the motherboard and then boot up and run the wizard. I have not tried it from the server on v1 but I have done it from my PC many times. You can start the wizard on your PC without doing any damage if you just want to take a look at it. Let me know how it goes.

Awesome, thanks Dave. For some reason I had it in my head that I needed to perform the restore from the actual client machine. When in reality the PC you're using for the restore is simply a means to get to the home server and dump the data onto the hard drive. I have an older PC laying around that should work, but I think I'll try doing this directly from within the home server since that might be quickest/easiest. Thanks again!

update:

I did some brief googling on doing a restore directly on the WHS box (using the clientrestorewizard.exe) and I got a little nervous because it's unsupported and seems to have the potential for messing things up. SO, I decided I'd first try doing a normal restore but using a second box I have laying around instead of the HTPC.

1. Plug in the new hard drive to that box, insert USB stick (containing bootable restore CD image) and fire up the machine.

2. Boots up fine, AND finds the NIC without me having to find any drivers for it manually!!

3. I click the "continue" button in the restore wizard to have it locate my WHS.

4. I wait, and wait, and wait. fail. Just as with my HTPC, it never seems to find my home server.

So now I'm a little suspicious. That's 2 different machines that were both unable to discover/find my WHS, even though both (apparently) had the NIC drivers loaded. Thing is, there's nothing wrong with my network nor my WHS box. My client PC's have never had any trouble connecting to it, nor has my macbook. One strange thing I noticed is that the lights on the back of the NIC aren't lit at all after the restore CD image boots up. (not blinking or solid)

Is the restore process usually this painful?

Am i just unlucky??

Should I roll the dice and try a restore directly from the WHS??

I guess I don't really see it as rolling the dice as all you have to lose is time and you can always format the target drive and start over. I think the bigger issue here is why restore is not finding your server.

If you fire up the wizard on your pc does it find the server and list the computers to restore?

Have you tried a reboot on the server just in case?

Are both server and your target computer on the same switch?

I have had the same problem with V1.

After a couple of days of trying to get my 32bit media centre to find the server to get the recovery going, I decided to do a fresh install which took me about 2 hours.

So I did not have the 32bit/64bit problem which you suspect is the root of your issues.

Nor did I have any cabling or nic issues as the new install went fine.

As a last option before a fresh install, just check that the firewall settings on you WHS box have not changed as a result of a power outage and try swapping ports on your router/switch too (sometimes they can go bad)

I used to have that issue on V1 until I got the right drivers. Using Dave's method is the easiest but if you want to try it one more time, download the entire driver pack to a usb and try these. These are known to work with V1. Let me know if this works out otherwise I would just use the method Dave described. Don't get me wrong, I love and depend on WHS backup but certainly not for restoring an OS but rather all the rest of the stuff. I was able on a few occasions to get the drivers list below to work so I believe this is your best chance. Good luck.

http://www.wegotserved.com/2010/03/29/tranquil-pc-release-network-driver-pack-for-windows-home-server/