RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

How many times have you (re)installed Windows Home Server 2011?

19 members have voted

1. 1. How many times have you (re)installed Windows Home Server 2011?

• 1 time
    • 2-5 times
    • 5-10 times
    • 10-15 times
    • More than 15 times

dagamer34

Since WHS 2011 has been out, I just wanted to see how many times people have (re)installed WHS 2011 for some odd reason because a configuration wasn't correct, or drivers blew up on you, or you picked the wrong name for your server. Oh, and give reasons for having to re-install so we can learn from your mistakes!

I've personally installed it a good 6 times since hitting RTM (didn't bother with any of the betas). Here's a list of what I can remember went wrong: motherboard in IDE mode, BSOD on boot, new hard drive, realizing that WHS 2011 refuses to install on a 60GB SSD, and a few others...

Edited by dagamer34

If we're talking about the final OEM version of WHS 2011, then I've installed it only the once on my server hardware.

However, I did install the RC beta on a laptop to practice, and I prepared for the final install by noting other people's experience in the forums (e.g. being able to set the Workgroup name on installation).

Edited by gcoupe

The RTM version on my production box I only did once. The RC I did several times but mainly for testing. Pretty much new what I wanted by RTM.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Only once. May have to again because mine is a VM and I am having problems copying data to my passthrough drives.

yodafett

Once due to a swap of a motherboard and proc upgrading to a i3 from a d525. Swap of drives went ok but would not let me rebuild the raid.

Does Vail beta installs count? If so, i can't even imagine the amount of times I've installed this thing!

The Jason

Swap of drives went ok but would not let me rebuild the raid.

What did you do about your data on the array? This is my concern with using onboard RAID. In what is admittedly only very limited testing I have not been able to successfully rebuild a RAID array on a different mobo. Still thinking about getting an add-in card which will be much easier to (1) transfer if a mobo craps out or I upgrade at some point or (2) replace if it craps out.

Edited by The Jason