RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Announcing the RC of the WHS 2011 Windows Phone 7 Connector

Windows Phone connector for WHS2011  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have a Windows Phone ?

2. 2. Will you use this add-in with your WHS 2011 server ?

Just installed it and it works quite well. Still trying to figure out which video types are supported. So far all of my WMVs and most MP4s stream excellent, however, it won't stream the default MP4 video produced by MCEBuddy...

Still playin' around with it.

Rensul

Will this stream WTV files recorded from WMC?

I get an error "The Media File is not supported" when trying to play wtv files. For DVR-MS, I don't get the error but there's only a blank screen - it doesn't play. Not sure if it's trying to stream or download the DVR-MS file but I stopped waiting after about 5 minutes...

It's interesting that with WHS 2011 remote web access, you can natively stream recorded tv files using silverlight but with this remote app on windows phone you'll still need to transcode if you want to access them thru windows phone... I was hoping to get away without having to transcode any more videos!!

Rensul

I get an error "The Media File is not supported" when trying to play wtv files. For DVR-MS, I don't get the error but there's only a blank screen - it doesn't play. Not sure if it's trying to stream or download the DVR-MS file but I stopped waiting after about 5 minutes...

It's interesting that with WHS 2011 remote web access, you can natively stream recorded tv files using silverlight but with this remote app on windows phone you'll still need to transcode if you want to access them thru windows phone... I was hoping to get away without having to transcode any more videos!!

Rensul

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff462087(VS.92).aspx

Looks like some of the codecs are not supported in the RC but should be in the final version.

Dumb question: why is Microsoft undermining the work of a developer with a working paid application that does exactly this? Shouldn't they have focused on bringing new capabilities to WHS2011 instead of reinventing WHSPhone and destroying the developer's value prop? Just saying.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

I have installed this on the Storage Server 2008 R2 Essentials, and so far it has also seemed to work pretty good as well

• 1 month later...

It is not working for me...I can log in just fine, I receive alerts and I can initiate backups. However, I get an error when trying to stream music, look at pictures, or watch video.

It is very frustrating and I submitted a ticket for it via M$ connect only to see that ticket stagnate for several weeks after the initial response. Microsoft makes it extremely hard to evangelize their products when their customer support is so shoddy.