RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Client Restore Wizard Error

jmwills

Attempts to run the Client Restore Wizard from the executable return the error:

Prob Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: ClientRestoreWizard.exe

AppicationVersion: 6.1.8800.16385

The DVD drive on this particular machine has gone belly up so I am unable to boot from a CD to check the issue. I am thinking there is a NIC driver issue but most of what I have been reading refers to RealTek NICs and this one has a Marvel Yukon NIC (Dell XPS M1530).

Any ideas?

Thanks

Yea, I think I got it going by doing just that although you have to go thru the diskpart commands and then copy the contents of the restore disc over to it. Seems to be working. The only little quirk I see for now is that some of the partitions were mis-lettered so you have the ability to go into the Computer Mgt Applet and clean that up.

After that, it's just a matter of correctly matching the partitions on a one to one basis for restoring.

Sys Reserved >> System Reserved

C >> C

Data >> Data (I keep the data on a separate partition. Right now I am about 15 minutes into this with an estimated 50 minutes left.

The diskpart commands are as follows:

Plug in the USB flash drive to an available USB port (ReadyBoost compatible is best)

Start–>diskpart [Enter] (UAC Prompt)

list disk (USB flash drive will show in the list – Disk 1 for this example)

sel disk 1

clean

create par primary

sel par 1

act

format fs=fat32

Go to Computer and copy the files from the Client Restore Disk to the USB Thumb Drive. You should now be able to boot from the USB Drive.

If all you have are ISO images, you will need to mount that image with a utility like Virtual Clone Drive (its free) or similar. (You cannot boot from the Virtual CD Drive)

Yea, I think I got it going by doing just that although you have to go thru the diskpart commands and then copy the contents of the restore disc over to it. Seems to be working. The only little quirk I see for now is that some of the partitions were mis-lettered so you have the ability to go into the Computer Mgt Applet and clean that up.

After that, it's just a matter of correctly matching the partitions on a one to one basis for restoring.

Sys Reserved >> System Reserved

C >> C

Data >> Data (I keep the data on a separate partition. Right now I am about 15 minutes into this with an estimated 50 minutes left.

The diskpart commands are as follows:

Plug in the USB flash drive to an available USB port (ReadyBoost compatible is best)

Start–>diskpart [Enter] (UAC Prompt)

list disk (USB flash drive will show in the list – Disk 1 for this example)

sel disk 1

clean

create par primary

sel par 1

act

format fs=fat32

Go to Computer and copy the files from the Client Restore Disk to the USB Thumb Drive. You should now be able to boot from the USB Drive.

If all you have are ISO images, you will need to mount that image with a utility like Virtual Clone Drive (its free) or similar. (You cannot boot from the Virtual CD Drive)

I am almost certain there is a batch routine that automates all this. Can't recall where I saw it :(

The USB Thumb Drive did the trick....not a fun experience but certainly a learning one.

Thanks Diehard...I had seen Andrew's post the other day as well as watching Tim Daleo's video on restoring so when it came to matching the volumes it was a cinch. At least we are back up and running and this was essentially a bare metal restore for me.