RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
st3lvio

Music Share Bug

gcoupe

@vinylfreak - glad you were able to catch it in time; and love the "Nipper" avatar!

ikon

Is it too much to expect that Microsoft should not at least reference the metadata issue and the workaround in the WHS 2011 release notes?

I think I covered that: "I do agree MS should have put something in the release notes about WMP and metadata; they messed up on that." :)

gcoupe

I think I covered that: "I do agree MS should have put something in the release notes about WMP and metadata; they messed up on that." :)

My point is not that they missed it at the time, but that they should now insert something in the release notes web page. I suspect that in six months time we'll still be waiting for the web page to be updated.

st3lvio

Well it looks like Microsoft is considering releasing some kind of documentation about this issue.

"Posted by Ning Kuang on 8/8/2011 at 9:42 AM

Hi, All,

Thank you for your feedbacks.

We resolved the connect bug so customer on this thread can try a quick workaround. A detailed online document and broader communication is in progress, Thanks to everyone’s efforts.

For customer who does not TS to the box to manually update the tags, their music album art on the RWA share are left as Unknown. This was particularly an issue for headless boxes, and a major default scenario. The automatic sync feature was intended to solve this problem. However, there are tradeoffs between simplifying the configuration experience vs. keeping all optional visible.

We are collecting more data to prioritize different customer needs, and are open to alternative solutions based on further investigation.

Thank you.

Windows Home and Small Business Server Team"

I hope they don't drag their feet on this and get something out ASAP. :rolleyes:

tojoski

I've got to admit my music is really a hodge-podge of tags and album art so I decided just to let it update the .mp3's.

So far I haven't noticed any issues, although I'm probably one of the few here that are using the zune software and not itunes..

diehard

st3lvio, nice to see that one guy and a community can get the ball rolling again at Microsoft WHS2011 team. Good for you.

st3lvio

Terry @ WGS had an update today:

WGS

Thanks for the kind words John.

Hope this topic comes up during the podcast later.

ikon

nice work st3lvio; glad to hear you got their attention.

st3lvio

I've got to admit my music is really a hodge-podge of tags and album art so I decided just to let it update the .mp3's.

So far I haven't noticed any issues, although I'm probably one of the few here that are using the zune software and not itunes..

The software you use for playback is not the issue. WHS2011 & the way the built-in WMP handles music libraries is the issue here.

CW-Kid of TDL & Green Button has done extensive testing on this.

I followed a great thread he had 2 years ago on TGB that addressed this issue (unfortunately that bookmark is dead - (when TGB changed over to The Windows Expert Community) So I give him all the credit for bring this issue up back then. Unfortunately Microsoft decided the leave the metadata tagging/album art editting intact with Windows 7. Here's an old link that still work's and explains a bit: Music Album ArtWork 200x200. The main issue here is that WMC is made for a TV. Although most WMC users watch their media on a big screen HD (IMO if you are running WMC - your most likely have a HD TV to support it). Stuart's threads were a quest on how to keep high resolution album art looking good on a big screen. Clearly a resolution of 200x200 or less does not. But M$ insists on "dumbing it down". I really really hope the next WMP that's built into Windows 8 will leave our album art and metadata as is. But, seeing that WHS2011 has not - my moto has always been:

"Prepare for the worst & hope for the Best" :)