RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
st3lvio

Music Share Bug

st3lvio

If you value your music stored on your WHS 2011, read on.

There seems to be a serious flaw in the way WHS 2011's MediaStreamingAdmin handles mp3 music files placed in the Default \\SERVER\Music share that has remote access streaming enabled. I, and others, have experienced WHS 2011 changing Album Art and tags at will against the users attempts to keep WHS 2011 (wmplayer.exe) from messing with and accessing the internet at will.

WGS Thread

Windows Expert Community Thread

M$ WHS 2011 Thread

Knowing WMP is notorious & well documented I change a group policy edit on each of my Win7 systems before giving them access to my music share on my WHS.

This worked as it should in WHS v1, BUT WHS 2011 does NOT. :angry:

If you experience (or care) about this, please add your say to this M$ Connect thread.

I have yet to find a work around for the remote access streaming to stop this behavior (one was mentioned in the WGS thread - but I haven't been so bold yet).

pcdoc

Thanks for the info. There are numerous issues with media sharing in this first release which I am sure will be addressed in a future service pack or update. I never use the default folders so I have not seen this one, but there are filter issues as well as not being able to limit folder access by users privileges which I believe is a glaring omission. All in all, I still think it works better that V1 but I look forward SP1.

dagamer34

In case anyone from Microsoft ever reads this, it would be nice if aspect ratios in remote streaming were fixed! HD content should be 16:9, not 4:3.

st3lvio

In case anyone from Microsoft ever reads this, it would be nice if aspect ratios in remote streaming were fixed! HD content should be 16:9, not 4:3.

Highly doubtful.

My post on the WHS 2011 M$ help site has over 100 views & not one reply.

I would start a new (or search for a similar) thread on M$ Connect

st3lvio

Added a new thread on M$ Connect (since the one I linked to in my first post is still closed)

Music AlbumArt & Tags getting overwritten

Give your $0.02 if care.

Edited by st3lvio

TechMule

I added the MyMusic workaround to the connect post.

Create a new share 'MyMusic' (or whatever you like).

Move your music to this newly created share.

Leave the default 'Music' share empty.

nightly updates to Album Art are not done to files within this new share.

st3lvio

I added the MyMusic workaround to the connect post.

Create a new share 'MyMusic' (or whatever you like).

Move your music to this newly created share.

Leave the default 'Music' share empty.

nightly updates to Album Art are not done to files within this new share.

I believe the key here is NOT to enable remote access to this newly created music share. (maybe)

That (besides being the default & un-deletable Music share) is the only difference between the 2 shares.

||SERVER|MUSIC (when remote web access is enabled) is handled by the MediaStreaming Admin. I can't figure out how to disable it from messing with the files in this share.

||SERVER\MyMusic (newly created - NO remote access) will remain untouched by WMP/wmplayer.exe. I still do daily searches on this folder for desktop.ini and AlbumArt and all is well. (Folder Views set to show hidden and system files)

So, if I want to stream Music from my server, copy (NOT Move) files into the default SERVER||MUSIC share and let wmplayer.exe(or whatever ghost service) re-tag my .mp3's and overwrite my hi-resolution album art.

Still seems like my FLAC is untouched (but I can't stream those anyway) Great option M$ :angry:

st3lvio

I can confirm the workaround tomeyers (Toddler) found and posted here and here is working for me (after a reboot).

"The source of this behavior is a scheduled task in WHS 2011 called Media Streaming Metadata Synchronizer. The description is as follows: "This task hosts the Windows Media Player ActiveX control to synchronize metadata attributes of files in the media library." Indeed, that is what is does--after having worked all day to replace my original ID3 tags, this task is running at this moment and destroying them all again. It is scheduled to run daily at 12:00 AM, whether or not a user is logged on, and run hidden, with the highest privileges."

Thanks!

** BUT **

My extender (MCE) to my HTPC w WMC does not show any album art on the "Music Wall". This sounds like a permission not set properly since I no longer keep my music library in the default SERVER\Music share. So, still not working 100% for me.

If this behavior of retagging and deleting/replacing files within your default SERVER\Music share is unacceptable then vote it up please:

M$ Connect - Music AlbumArt & Tags get Overwriitten

Thanks to diehard for bringing up my thread on the HSS 141 Podcast

st3lvio

My M$ Connect Thread was answered and 'closed' today:

Posted by Microsoft on 8/5/2011 at 2:13 AM

Hi,

Thank you for your feedbacks.

We have confirmed that the followig manual workarounds will address this issue.

1. On server, open Task Scheduler by clicking Start->Administrative Tools -> Task Scheduler

2. Navigate to location \Microsoft\Windows\Windows Server

3. Right click “Media Streaming Metadata Synchronizer” and click Disable.

Unfortunately due to multiple reasons we will not be able to make code fix in this release. But it's a great future design suggestion.

Thank You.

Windows Home and Small Business Server Team

41 UP votes and M$ has called the issue 'Resolved' with no promise of a fix.

I'm really trying to be happy they even responded, but >sigh< B)

ikon

My M$ Connect Thread was answered and 'closed' today:

Posted by Microsoft on 8/5/2011 at 2:13 AM

Hi,

Thank you for your feedbacks.

We have confirmed that the followig manual workarounds will address this issue.

1. On server, open Task Scheduler by clicking Start->Administrative Tools -> Task Scheduler

2. Navigate to location \Microsoft\Windows\Windows Server

3. Right click “Media Streaming Metadata Synchronizer” and click Disable.

Unfortunately due to multiple reasons we will not be able to make code fix in this release. But it's a great future design suggestion.

Thank You.

Windows Home and Small Business Server Team

41 UP votes and M$ has called the issue 'Resolved' with no promise of a fix.

I'm really trying to be happy they even responded, but >sigh< B)

I'm a little puzzled by your post. Since the issue is a Scheduled Task, and MS has posted instructions on how to disable it, I'm wondering why you seem to think it's not fixed? What would you like to see done?