RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Blu-Ray ripping on virtualized WHS

timekills

I mentioned this in downsides to virtualization but thought I'd ask here.

Bottom line; Server2K8R2 with Hyper-V. Three virtual systems; 1 x WHS v1, 1 x Win7 Ult x64, and 1 x WHS 2011. I can get DVDs to rip though My Movies on the guest OS by installing AnyDVDHD on the host (Server 2K8R2) and NOT installing on the guest. I can't get Blu-Rays to rip at all on the guest. DVD ripping is slooooowwww.

Notes:

1) If I install AnyDVDHD on the guest OS, it (the guest OS) never recognizes a DVD or Blu-Ray has been inserted into the parent drive. The host OS recognizes it, but the guest does not. If I remove (or disable) AnyDVDHD on the guest, then it can read the DVD or Blu-Ray as it is passed through already unencrypted by the host copy of AnyDVDHD. So it isn't really needed on the guest OS anyway.

2) The Blu-Ray drive is passed through to one OS only. Same effect whether using My Movies on WHS v1 or 2011. DVDs work slowly, Blu-Ray not at all.

Additional question: Should I disable all the "stuff" in AnyDVDHD on the host OS? I wonder if by doing that it is somehow corrupting the passed-through data to the guest OS?

Thanks for any advice...

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• timekills

• Hanzoy

• djsecrist

Guest no-control

Need clarification

The BD drive is passed thru i.e. its directly associated with the guest VM? and MM and AnyDVD are on the guest correct?

Need clarification

The BD drive is passed thru i.e. its directly associated with the guest VM? and MM and AnyDVD are on the guest correct?

The BD drive is asssociated with guest OS. I don't know of any way to use an optical drive besides the "pass through" method. (I suppose I could share the drive from the host and read from it as guest but it wouldn't be seen as an optical drive then.)

MM is on the guest only. AnyDVDHD on host AND guest doesn't seem to work with any media. AnyDVDHD on host only works with DVDs but not BluRays.

The BD drive is asssociated with guest OS. I don't know of any way to use an optical drive besides the "pass through" method. (I suppose I could share the drive from the host and read from it as guest but it wouldn't be seen as an optical drive then.)

MM is on the guest only. AnyDVDHD on host AND guest doesn't seem to work with any media. AnyDVDHD on host only works with DVDs but not BluRays.

What happens when AnyDVDHD is on the guest with MM and not on the host?

What happens when AnyDVDHD is on the guest with MM and not on the host?

The guest never even recognizes a DVD has been inserted; same as when it is on both. I've tried all three ways: AnyDVDHD installed on host and guest, on host only, and on guest only. Started with guest only, since I thought the optical drive would just be passed through and the guest OS would take care of the decryption responsibilities. Only time a DVD is recognized and readable by the guest is if the host, and host only, has AnyDVDHD installed. None of the variants for install seem to work with BluRay.

One caveat; one BluRay - Tangled - did get to about 5% on MM on the host one time. It never got past that and hasn't even done that again. I have zero idea what might have been different that one time but it was while host had AnyDVDHD, BluRay drive was passed through as D Drive on guest, and guest had MM but not AnyDVDHD.

I guess the question is whether the optical device is really passed through to the host, or if I need to do something else? Has anyone been able to rip a BluRay on a virtualized OS?

The guest never even recognizes a DVD has been inserted; same as when it is on both. I've tried all three ways: AnyDVDHD installed on host and guest, on host only, and on guest only. Started with guest only, since I thought the optical drive would just be passed through and the guest OS would take care of the decryption responsibilities. Only time a DVD is recognized and readable by the guest is if the host, and host only, has AnyDVDHD installed. None of the variants for install seem to work with BluRay.

One caveat; one BluRay - Tangled - did get to about 5% on MM on the host one time. It never got past that and hasn't even done that again. I have zero idea what might have been different that one time but it was while host had AnyDVDHD, BluRay drive was passed through as D Drive on guest, and guest had MM but not AnyDVDHD.

I guess the question is whether the optical device is really passed through to the host, or if I need to do something else? Has anyone been able to rip a BluRay on a virtualized OS?

I have a test box where I am running Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 SP1, and I have a Bluray drive lying around. Will try and see if I can rip a Bluray, I will get back to you shortly ;)

Edited by Hanzoy

I installed WHS 2011 RC and Windows 7 Pro SP1 on my Hyper-V Server, installed AnyDVD version 6.8.1.0 on the guests. Made sure that the Bluray drive was set to pass through. Ripped a bluray movie on the guests and it worked like a charm :) no problem here.

I installed WHS 2011 RC and Windows 7 Pro SP1 on my Hyper-V Server, installed AnyDVD version 6.8.1.0 on the guests. Made sure that the Bluray drive was set to pass through. Ripped a bluray movie on the guests and it worked like a charm :) no problem here.

Good info; any chance you could try it with WHS - especially with My Movies? My primary concern is why it is not working in WHS, but I'm going to try it in a virtual Win7 as well.

Did you install AnyDVD on the host OS too?

Good info; any chance you could try it with WHS - especially with My Movies? My primary concern is why it is not working in WHS, but I'm going to try it in a virtual Win7 as well.

Did you install AnyDVD on the host OS too?

Have tried to rip a bluray on both virtual systems (WHS 2011 RC and Windows 7), they both completed without any problems. No haven't tried to install it on the host, only on WHS 2011 RC and Windows 7. Don't think it is possible to install AnyDVD on Hyper-V Server, since it is a bare metal hypervisor, I'm not using a 2K8R2 Server with the Hyper-V role installed.

But sure, I can try and install the My Movies add-in on WHS 2011 RC and rip a bluray through that, hopefully it works as well. I will keep you updated.

Edited by Hanzoy

Hmm just installed the My Movies add-in and I need 1250 points, before I can rip through My Movies, so can't test it for you.