RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

My v1 Server name is _______. My new 2011 server name will be ______.

Dave

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dave

• jmwills

• ikon

• c0op3r

Top Posters In This Topic

are disrespecting da mastah??

LOL, yes I can see that the idea was good but now we gotta talk about these names!

Mine are boring, hpstorage and homeserver. Maybe I need a new naming schema. Movies, music, cars?

EX470 = Pinto

EX495 = Sedan

HomeBuild = SSCamaro

or

EX470 = Mater

EX495 = DocHudson

HomeBuild = LightningMcQ

LOL, yes I can see that the idea was good but now we gotta talk about these names!

Mine are boring, hpstorage and homeserver. Maybe I need a new naming schema. Movies, music, cars?

EX470 = Pinto

EX495 = Sedan

HomeBuild = SSCamaro

or

EX470 = Mater

EX495 = DocHudson

HomeBuild = LightningMcQ

I used to name servers with clever or cute names (Farpoint, Jordi, NCC1701, Galactica, ISS Comms Center, etc) but I got over that and just give them simple names. I named my v! WHS as DadWHS because, when my kids were looking for a file and arguing about where it was, often one of them would say, "It's on Dad's server." :)

Considering I work with 130ish servers that predominatly begin with Serv, SAP, or Video. So at home we have flair so I can remember I do this for FUN :)

Considering I work with 130ish servers that predominatly begin with Serv, SAP, or Video. So at home we have flair so I can remember I do this for FUN :)

Ditto on that. I starting name everything after Pets but then I ran out of animals!!

V1 - TTJK-030809-whs

2011- TTJK-050111-whs

Family initials - Date Built - Computer

I do this on all my computers so I know when the last build / rebuild was completed. Works for me.

Win 2003 - FS01

WHS v1 - WHSv1

WHS 2011 - WHSv2

Ok, since we are now opened up for discussion.....

Well my server names are boring, but work for me. I can see these names on two WDTVs and two HD Tivos in the house. I want these to be towards the bottom of the list and next to each other, hence the choice of WHS... using WHSv1 & WHSv2 keeps things short and fairly easy to know which server I am using.

m