RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Gigabyte BIOS Corruption

revengineer

Hi,

After a week of working fine, this morning I turned my new WHS 2011 on and ran into a BIOS corruption with my Gigabyte GA-H67MA-USB3-B3 motherboard. After hooking up a monitor I got a garbled screen, then the words "fixing ME firmware", then something about boot failure and "press enter". Upon pressing enter, the OS actually booted. Puh...

The problem was repeatable, so I used @BIOS to reload the current F3 firmware. This seemed to have fixed the problem, at least for now. Question now: Is this likely a one-time fluke, or am I bound to have more problems with this mobo. I am trying to figure out whether this needs to be RMAed or not.

Also, in 30 years I have never encountered a BIOS corruption. Does anyone have any clue what could have caused this? Used the machine the last a few days ago, and it had been off until this morning when the problem occurred. Puzzled...

One more Q: Is there a utility that can test the mobo hardware integrity?

Any insight appreciated.

Thx, rev

Edited by revengineer

Hi,

After a week of working fine, this morning I turned my new WHS 2011 on and ran into a BIOS corruption with my Gigabyte GA-H67MA-USB3-B3 motherboard. After hooking up a monitor I got a garbled screen, then the words "fixing ME firmware", then something about boot failure and "press enter". Upon pressing enter, the OS actually booted. Puh...

The problem was repeatable, so I used @BIOS to reload the current F3 firmware. This seemed to have fixed the problem, at least for now. Question now: Is this likely a one-time fluke, or am I bound to have more problems with this mobo. I am trying to figure out whether this needs to be RMAed or not.

Also, in 30 years I have never encountered a BIOS corruption. Does anyone have any clue what could have caused this? Used the machine the last a few days ago, and it had been off until this morning when the problem occurred. Puzzled...

Any insight appreciated.

Thx, rev

Like you, in 30 years I've never had a corrupted BIOS either. I've run into BIOS' that didn't do things the way they should, and needed to be updated, but never an actual corruption. Please tell me this isn't going to become a new area of concern for all of us going forward.

Certainly cannot hurt to either flash as the current or previous version. GB does have a three years warranty so you might want to start an RMA with them.

Hi,

Any insight appreciated.

Thx, rev

Wow. I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger -- that was the MB I was going to get so I'd be interested in what you find out.

Never had a BIOS problem in the past myself and that's since my first PC in the early 80's [iBM-PC with 256k of RAM and 2 floppy drives]

Hi,

Any insight appreciated.

Thx, rev

Wow, this is definitely not normal nor is it a characteristic. I have three of these and used two more for a friend with no issue. If you do not think it was induced then keep an eye and do an RMA.

Thanks all for your advice. I am pretty but not 100% sure that it was not self-induced. The first time I booted I waited 10 minutes and could not RDP in. Since I do not have a monitor connected at all times, I did not see the final screen. So I power cycled and at the second boot (not the first) the fan LEDs went off/on during the POST. This is not typical so I hooked up the monitor and saw the problem. Maybe the power cycle caused something weird.

I will keep an eye out an RMS if it repeats. Just checked Newegg and they want the original packaging which I threw away after everything was working fine for a few days. So may have to go directly to Gigabyte.

@Joe_Miner: I like this board and I would buy it again, so please do not base your decision on my problem. All technology is bound to have problems for a small fraction of the problems and this can happen with any other mobo as well.

rev

Thanks all for your advice. I am pretty but not 100% sure that it was not self-induced. The first time I booted I waited 10 minutes and could not RDP in. Since I do not have a monitor connected at all times, I did not see the final screen. So I power cycled and at the second boot (not the first) the fan LEDs went off/on during the POST. This is not typical so I hooked up the monitor and saw the problem. Maybe the power cycle caused something weird.I will keep an eye out an RMS if it repeats. Just checked Newegg and they want the original packaging which I threw away after everything was working fine for a few days. So may have to go directly to Gigabyte.<br /><br />@Joe_Miner: I like this board and I would buy it again, so please do not base your decision on my problem. All technology is bound to have problems for a small fraction of the problems and this can happen with any other mobo as well.

How could this be self-induced, as I understand all you did was start your server?

I do not know the spec for the bios at all, so your power cycling I guess could cause this, although it never happens from a power cycle.

The only components I could imagine could cause this error would be, the flash memory, RAM, CPU, bus connections.

I would just try and reflash the bios, but for RMA purposes you might want to have gigabyte support instruct you to try this, so you do not lose your warranty.

How could this be self-induced, as I understand all you did was start your server?

I do not know the spec for the bios at all, so your power cycling I guess could cause this, although it never happens from a power cycle.

The only components I could imagine could cause this error would be, the flash memory, RAM, CPU, bus connections.

I would just try and reflash the bios, but for RMA purposes you might want to have gigabyte support instruct you to try this, so you do not lose your warranty.

I was just leaving the door open for a 1% chance that this was my fault. The problem occurred a week after the original BIOS flash which was required because the mobo would not boot with the OS disc in the DVD drive. So the original flash was mandatory, I wasn't just doing some risky tinkering. I wish I could have seen the final screen before the problem surfaced...

I did reflash the BIOS using @BIOS since Q-Flash was not accessible and this did solve the problem. The question is just for how long? :-) I am now booting the test server daily to see whether the problem reoccurs.

Lots of things can effect the BIOS getting out of whack. Memory problems, incorrect settings, add on cards, software, etc. I would definitively upgrade to the latest firmware, reset the optimum settings, do not change memory settings, and keep trying to make it fail. Shut it off/on, run a stress test, etc. You could have the 1 in million board with a bad BIOS but I still think it is something else. Keep us posted.