RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Discrete Network Card or On Board?

CablDeViL

After what seems to be 3 years I am almost done with my WHS2011 build. Before I toss it into the basement never to be seen again (as long as there is no hardware failure) should I install the Intel PRO/1000 MT Dual Port Server Adapter Network adapter - PCI-X hot-plug 133 MHz that was in my v1 build or just use the on board gigabit controller. On my Main Board I have a Nvidia 750a controller.

My choice would be to install the intel NIC for performance and reduced CPU usage.

I just wanted to bounce this question off of the community before I installed the NIC.

Thank you in advance for your opinions.

Bill

After what seems to be 3 years I am almost done with my WHS2011 build. Before I toss it into the basement never to be seen again (as long as there is no hardware failure) should I install the Intel PRO/1000 MT Dual Port Server Adapter Network adapter - PCI-X hot-plug 133 MHz that was in my v1 build or just use the on board gigabit controller. On my Main Board I have a Nvidia 750a controller.

My choice would be to install the intel NIC for performance and reduced CPU usage.

I just wanted to bounce this question off of the community before I installed the NIC.

Thank you in advance for your opinions.

Bill

Can I read from your post that the NIC has an onboard processor to offload the main CPU?

I should have stated that the card can do Interrupt Moderation and large send offload to reduce the CPU usage. But it also has an Intel processor on the Nic paired with two Pulse network chips.

I should have stated that the card can do Interrupt Moderation and large send offload to reduce the CPU usage. But it also has an Intel processor on the Nic paired with two Pulse network chips.

In that case, I can't see any reason not to use it, unless you have some other place for it to go.

Guest no-control

use the onboard and call it a day.

Reasons I wouldn't use it

1. Performance benefit of an Intel NIC is negligible in a home server
  2. Without a PCI-X slot to put it in its crippled
  3. Additional power draw
  4. Additional failure point
  5. Takes up a slot that could be better used for something else

PCIe is cheap now and PCI-X is hard to find outside of server gear. I would save it for a router project or a spare to get you by in case a NIC fails on the board.

Thanks Guys for your input I think I just may go that way

I knew it would be a good thing to toss this question out to the crowd.