RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Gary

Mediasmart WHS 2011 Network Problems

Gary

Greetings!

I have a Mediasmart 487 server that I'm have put WHS 2011 on. After several attempts at doing a headless install I bought the debug board so I could see what was going on. It worked great but after finally getting through the install I couldn't connect with the network.

Looking in the device manager I found out that I had a Realtek RTL8168C(P)/8111C(P) NIC. I went to the Realtek website and downloaded the XP/win server 2003 driver and put it on my thumbdrive and updated the Mediasmart server. Now it is saying that I'm connecting to the network but it never says I'm connecting to the internet. Logging into my router I can't tell that it's registered there and I can't connect to the server or even see the server from any other pc on my network.

I'm a bit at the end of my skill set on this and would appreciate any help provided. I tried search the forum first but didn't see anything but if this has been covered elsewhere please provide the link and accept my apologies.

Gary

osquest

I'm not familiar with that hardware specifically, but for WHS 2011 you want drivers for Win7 or Win Server 2006R2 (both 64-bit). I'd suggest trying those drivers for the card.

jmwills

Yes, you need the Server 2008/Win 7 drivers (x64). You should uninstall the network card by using the Device Manager, Scan for Hardware changes where Windows will see the new device and then point to the location of the driver you just downloaded. That should do the trick.

I have look at the debug board also as as means of doing an install of Server 2008 (no WHS) on my Acer H340 as a backup server for the new 2011 build. Any issues with the cable?

ikon

I went to the Realtek website and downloaded the XP/win server 2003 driver and put it on my thumbdrive and updated the Mediasmart server.

If this was WHSv1 then you would want the XP/2003 drivers but, since you say it's 2011, what the others are saying is correct; you need win7/2008 drivers.

Your most likely problem is that your trying to use 32 bit drivers on an exclusively 64 bit OS. I'm frankly a little surprised it let you install them. I would have expected, if you went through Device Mangler, that it would have said "no drivers found for the device".

diehard

Yes, you need the Server 2008/Win 7 drivers (x64). You should uninstall the network card by using the Device Manager, Scan for Hardware changes where Windows will see the new device and then point to the location of the driver you just downloaded. That should do the trick.

I have look at the debug board also as as means of doing an install of Server 2008 (no WHS) on my Acer H340 as a backup server for the new 2011 build. Any issues with the cable?

You can give this a try, http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10262 if you install it on a new hard drive, you don't have much to loose if it doesn't work, just reformat the drive.

The motherboards for the MediaSmart and Acer boards were made by the same company, hence the VGA cable works on both.

ikon

I bought the debug board so I could see what was going on.

Can I ask where you got it (a link perhaps) and how much it cost? Also, I've heard there is more than 1 model; which one did you get?

BTW, good morning diehard; welcome to a blustery Saturday :)

Edited by ikon

ikon

The motherboards for the MediaSmart and Acer boards were made by the same company, hence the VGA cable works on both.

Thanks very much for this. I sorta understood that the same adapter works for both, but it's great to have 'official' confirmation.

Do you know where to get the boards or, better yet, know what parts to get and where I can easily get them in Canada?

Edited by ikon

diehard

The ready made cable is available from a forum member on the MediaSmartServer.net site. http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8066

The 3 models include, just VGA, VGA+PS2 keyboard/mouse, VGA+PS2 keyboard/mouse+RS232. I find the cable expensive and it messy just hanging off the server. But if you use it sparingly, it's fine.

That's why I built my own. I got my parts from DigiKey in Canada.

CP-2260-ND USB connector

455-1325-1-NS connector terminal

455-2265-ND connector housing 8 position

455-2256-ND connector header 8 position

455-1783-ND connector header 26 position

I made my own PC boards using ExpressPCB.

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8181&p=66959&hilit=vga+cable#p66959

ikon

The ready made cable is available from a forum member on the MediaSmartServer.net site. http://www.mediasmar....php?f=6&t=8066

The 3 models include, just VGA, VGA+PS2 keyboard/mouse, VGA+PS2 keyboard/mouse+RS232. I find the cable expensive and it messy just hanging off the server. But if you use it sparingly, it's fine.

That's why I built my own. I got my parts from DigiKey in Canada.

CP-2260-ND USB connector

455-1325-1-NS connector terminal

455-2265-ND connector housing 8 position

455-2256-ND connector header 8 position

455-1783-ND connector header 26 position

I made my own PC boards using ExpressPCB.

http://www.mediasmar...ga+cable#p66959

Hi diehard.

Good heavens! I've never heard of expressPCB. And, if you want co-incidence, I used to run a circuit board factory in the late 70s. We made raw boards for a number of big-name electronics companies. We didn't design the boards, or stuff them; we just made the raw boards per the spec and images we were given. And we sure didn't have friendly CAD software to do board layout (not that we did board layout anyway, but we might have if we'd had a tool like expressPCB's).

Anyway, I have a number of questions, if you're willing:

1. from your post on MediaSmartServer it appears you have some electronics & PCB design background which, despite my past job, I don't. Is it possible you can provide the expressPCB schematic file for others to use?
  2. I noticed you labelled several ports as USB but you show PS2 components. I assume you're using the names interchangeably?
  3. in your case you used 2 PS2 connectors. Is it possible to use a PS2 keyboard connected to the bebug connector and a USB mouse connected to one of the regular USB ports?
  4. what did you use to crimp the connector terminals? Did you just solder the wires to the terminals?
  5. I gather it's necessary to install a jumper on the motherboard in order to activate the debug connector. True? And, if so, can you just leave the jumper on and still use the computer normally all the time?

I would love to see more pics of your assembled board from different angles.