WHS 2011 Comments and Questions

awraynor

So the wife was out of town and I had a little time to install WHS 2011

and tweak my setup a little. I like the full screen console and it has

seemed stable so far but:

1. Installing the connector has worked after a few attempts on my main desktop,

but not at all on another Win7 machine and my Mac desktop, still working on

that.

2. For some reason the whole server backup option is confusing me? It is to back

up share folders and client backups only, correct? I have devised a new scheme

to sync my docs, music etc. from the clients to the shares daily, so I don't really

want to duplicate them yet again on a server backup. So I can just not use that

correct?

3. I want to have a 2TB drive just for my movies backups. Is there a way to have

that drive show up as a shares folder? This would really help when trying to sync

the folder with the 1.5TB backup I have from my old rips.

4. Going to use the popular IcyDock cage to raid my OS drive. When that is used,

do you need to enable AHCI/RAID in the bios, or does the cage natively take care

of that?

5. Is anyone using the libraries or homegroup features, it seems like a good idea,

but is it worth it?

Love to hear thoughts on the subjects.

Edited by awraynor

that.

2. For some reason the whole server backup option is confusing me? It is to back

to sync my docs, music etc. from the clients to the shares daily, so I don't really

correct?

3. I want to have a 2TB drive just for my movies backups. Is there a way to have

that drive show up as a shares folder? This would really help when trying to sync

4. Going to use the popular IcyDock cage to raid my OS drive. When that is used,

do you need to enable AHCI/RAID in the bios, or does the cage natively take care

of that?

5. Is anyone using the libraries or homegroup features, it seems like a good idea,

but is it worth it?

1. make sure you've uninstalled any other whs connector(s) you had/have installed on the other win7 machine, and you have to reboot before attempting to install whs2011 connector. Also, be sure to use http://<your server>/connect as the install location.

2. I plan to use the WHS2011 backup only to back up the OS drives of my clients, and the WHS2011 system drive. All data will be backed up using RoboCopy.

5. currently, I'm not using homegroup or libraries. You should check out a post by diehard re: issues with using WHS2011 User Accounts and homegroup together.

that.

correct?

of that?

but is it worth it?

Here is my two cents:

1. Agree with ikon, make sure all remnants of V1, reboot, then try again.

2. The backup console will backup and anything you want up to 2T. My suggestion is use it to back up your critical shares and skip backing up the client backups as that will waste allot of space. If you really want them you can sync those as they certainly do not need to run 1-2 a day. but since you have the clients and a backup you already have two.

3. Any drive you do not identify as a backup will show up as available to share. Remember you cannot have multiple backup sets. Another words you can point movies to one drive for backup and other sharers to another drive. Very limiting but with some creativity you can make it work.

4. The icydock should work with any setting. If you plan at some time to create a raid configuration using your motherboard, then set to RAID before the install (cannot do it afterwards). The icydock itself is seen by the system as a single drive so it does not care.

5. Nope. Libraries on a client are pretty cool but not a huge fan of home groups. I prefer the more structured approach such as a specific folder for a specific task as it is less confusing.

I inadvertently started using homegroups and lost access to my folders. Better of using the User access in WHS.